Chapter 13

I know this took forever but the next one will be out in a day or two. I just...had some shit going on...sorry :)

Chapter 13

Corinna’s POV

“What the hell are you doing here?”

Clearly unbothered by my words, Jessica brushed past me into my house on Friday night, her hands laden with bags that somehow seemed ominous.

“I’m here to help you get ready,” she said, trying to take her shoes off and keep a hold on the bags at the same time.

I blinked and wracked my brain for an answer, trying to figure out what this girl was doing in my house at six o’clock on Friday night. “Are you talking about Chemistry right now? Because the test isn’t until next week and Flynn told me you were coming over on Sunday to tutor me.”

She rolled her eyes at me before sending me a wide grin, her dark brown eyes lighting with mischief that definitely made me nervous. “Who cares about chemistry when you’ve got a hot date to prepare for,” she said excitedly, turning away from me and heading towards the stairs with an extra bounce in her step. “I brought a few outfit options just in case you don’t have anything other than ripped jeans and plain t-shirts in your wardrobe. I’m so excited to see you in a dress, Cor, you’re going to look great.”

She was halfway up the stairs before she realized that I wasn’t behind her. When she turned back to look at me, her forehead wrinkled in a confused frown, I just stared at her with an eyebrow raised. “I think you have the wrong girl. The only ‘hot date’ I’m going on tonight is with my Spanish textbook and I do not require a dress for it so why don’t you go and enjoy your Friday night elsewhere?”

She let out an exasperated sigh and put her bag laden hands on her hips, trying to look severe without tipping over. “You know, you could be a little more grateful,” she said, narrowing her eyes on me.

“I’d be grateful if you left,” I said flatly, giving her a cold stare and mentally telling her to take her makeover kit and leave the house.

She just chuckled and shook her head before turning around again and continuing up the stairs. “You’ll change your mind when you see the outfit I picked for you,” she called over her shoulder, completely unbothered by my cold attitude.

“No I won’t,” I mumbled, turning towards the living room, intent on hiding there until Jessica gave up but the faint sound of Donald’s voice made me freeze. He was talking to Jake whose higher pitched voice carried a little better up the stairs as he went over everything that had happened in school that day. I felt a smile stretch across my face as I listened but the smile faded when I heard Donald and Sandra laugh at something Jake said, making my heart twist hard in my chest with longing.

Unconsciously, I shifted closer to the staircase that led to the basement where the main living room was. I could see the room in my mind with its warm fireplace and big screen TV, the floor riddled with toys and worn out magazines. I could picture the huge couch with its soft cushions and I could see my father and Sandra sitting comfortably together watching as Jake played on the floor and I wondered where I would’ve sat if I had been a part of that cozy scene.

My foot was on the top step before I realized what I was doing and once my brain started working again, I jerked back, spinning away from the stairs and stumbling slightly, my heart pounding hard in my chest as I bumped into something solid. 

“Whoa,” Aaron said, his hands gripping my arms tightly to keep me from falling over, his hold steadying me but doing nothing to calm my racing heart. “You okay?”