Chapter 9

"Mommy?"

"Wait for me outside, ok baby?" She said clearing the hair out of my face while tears ran down her face.

I look at my dad, I could see the anger through his eyes. He looks at me and shows nothing but pure disgust.

"Mommy, what's going on?" I asked and start crying.

"Don't worry, everything's gonna ok" she said as she took me in her arms and ran her hands up and down my back. She pulled away and wiped my tears with her thumb.

"Wait for mommy outside, ok?" She said giving me a sad smile.

"Don't leave my, please" I couldn't control my sobs anymore, tears streamed uncontrollably down my face as I held my mom's hand.

"Riley" she said, in a hoarse voice. "I'll always love you no matter what, remember that. Promise me that you'll be happy" she took my hand and gave it a weak squeeze.

And that's when I heard it, the flat line of the machine.

"NOOO!" I screamed and sat up on the bed, breathing heavily.

"Riley, hey, it's ok" Adam said as he wrapped me in his arms. "It was just a bad dream." He said as he ran his hands up and down my arm. Trying to calm me down.

Tears threaten to spill but I blinked them away. I didn't want to start crying again and most certainly I don't want to explain as to why I was crying.

I don't want to tell Adam about my past, not yet. The fact that he might leave consumes my mind ever since his dad asked about my parents.

He's going to understand, he loves us you know that.

I told my wolf I knew that, there's no doubt about that. But it's so hard to talk about it after years of trying to put those thoughts away.

I calm down and I untangle myself from his warm embrace. I look into Adam's eyes and see that they're filled with worry and concern. "Riley, what's wrong?" He asks and he cups my cheek with his hand, stroking my cheek with his thumb.

"I'm sorry" I say barely a whisper. I grab his other hand and give it a small squeeze. "Just a bad dream." But it's not, and he knows I'm lying. But right now, I'm tired and last thing I need is another set of questions.

I look down and I can feel him debating whether or not to ask me if I'm really fine. I look into his eyes and once again I'm hypnotized by them.

God, I love his eyes.

His eyes, his beautiful brown eyes. I could stare into them all day and I still would be hypnotized by them. And his hair, they way it looks like he just rolled out of bed. His dark brown hair that always look good, I bet it's soft too.

"Try and go back to sleep ok?" Adam says and I notice that it's still dark outside. I give him a small nod and lay back down on the bed.

Adam pulls me into his arms again and I feel his warm embrace already making me feel better.

God, he smells so good.

He starts to draw circles in my back and at this point I'm sure that I'm not going back to sleep but I sure as hell don't want this moment to end.

I feel so safe in his arms, like nothing can happen to me as long as Adam is by my side. I'm snapped out of my thoughts when Adam talks to me.

"You know you can talk to me about anything, right?" He says, almost whispering. "I know" I say. "It's just, I don't want you to feel like you can't talk to me. I want you to know that you can trust me."

"I trust you. It's just a bit hard for me to open up." I say. "I'm worried about you" Adam says and I smile into his chest, my stomach filled with butterflies.

"I'll be fine" I say, and nuzzle my head into his chest. My eyes start to feel heavy and try with all my might to stay awake.

One part of me doesn't wanna fall asleep because I'm scared I'll have another nightmare but another part knows that I'll be safe because Adam's here with me.

"Close your eyes, princess. Nothing bad is going to happen as long as I'm here." He continues drawing circles on my back and I let sleep take over me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ooh Chapter 9!! It's lit faaaam! Ok so this chapter was a little bit short than my other chapters but I wanted you guys to have an insight as to why Riley freaked out when Adam's dad asked about her parents.

Of course, everything will be cleared up and questions will be answered. Emma and Ryan will appear again, 100% sure that they're not leaving the story.

Once again, thank you guys so much for reading my book. It's my first time and I've been getting positive feedback! Hit follow so you know when I update! See you in the next chapter!