Conflict of interest?

Start from the beginning

He was supposed to hate him. He didn't. It was why he couldn't continue being his doctor.

Charlie's house was familiar. It was the same house they'd run around in and the same one they'd...

Patrick swallowed hard as he got out of the car. The brick and siding house stood on the opposite side looking straight at him. It was very small compared to his father's house, yet it had felt like home years ago.

As he walked to the front door, he could see a lawn on the other side of the house. It was dead, but Patrick could remember times when he and Charlie had been tasked with looking after Ariel while Charlie's mom went to the grocery store. They'd inflated a backyard kiddie pool for Ariel to swim in while they played cards on the lawn watching her. They always ended up splashing each other with water.

And those moments when Charlie got out of his wet t-shirt...

Patrick couldn't have knocked twice before the door was jerked open.

"Patrick, hi!" Ariel said with a smile.

"Hey. Is your brother here?"

"Ye..." Ariel said and looked behind her only to say, "Um...no."

"Ariel, he's here," Patrick said firmly.

She gave him an apologetic smile.

"Can I come in?" he asked.

Ariel seemed uncertain so Patrick brushed past her and walked into the house. It was like he was walking into a movie made up of his own memories. Nothing in the kitchen looked different from 8 years ago, except the pissed off guy sitting at the kitchen table.

"Charlie, we need to talk," Patrick said firmly, and for a second watched as Ariel closed the door.

"You are persistent!"

"I'm your doctor."

"I don't think that affords you the privilege of budging into my house uninvited," Charlie spat.

Ariel said something to both of them but none of them acknowledge her words or her disappearance into one of the rooms.

"I only came here to do one thing," Patrick said and set the envelope he'd been holding on the table near Charlie.

"You can go now," Charlie said without even looking at the envelope.

"I need your signature."

Charlie frowned but finally pried the envelope open and read the contents of the letter in it.

"I'm guessing the results told you what I have been saying all along? You wouldn't refer me if I didn't need care," Charlie said raising his eyes slightly.

Patrick had always dreaded telling Charlie his diagnosis, but he couldn't lie to him. He nodded.

Charlie sighed. "You didn't have to bother coming here. I'm not going to Earthendale or anywhere else."

Patrick couldn't believe what he was hearing. He'd thought all along the reason for Charlie's noncompliance was him but now he wasn't so sure. He'd made the referral thinking Charlie would appreciate not having to deal with him and actually take his diagnosis seriously.

"You have to see someone."

"It's incurable!"

"There are drugs, things that can help with the symptoms," Patrick said. He was trying his best to appear caring without being too caring, just like he had been taught in medical school. He had a feeling he was failing.

Charlie's face softened, but he looked more frustrated. "I can't afford anyone! I can't afford any medication! I am unemployed and broke. My bloody car is a cactus. I need to find a job instead of going to doctor's appointments!"

"Medicare covers..." Patrick said but Charlie cut in.

"Not my transport to and from Earthendale"

"Then come back to the hospital Charlie! I'll pay the excess on all your medication."

Even Patrick was shocked after his words. To hear that Charlie was struggling had awakened his care for the guy, granted there really wasn't much waking to be done. Patrick could deny it all he wanted but even then as he stood next to a pissed off Charlie, he'd wanted nothing but to touch him, look in his eyes and tell him that he (Patrick) was there for him.

Charlie shook his head.

"For goodness's sake Charlie, can you stop being stubborn for once?!"

"You want me to be naïve? I'm not bloody stupid to fall for your fake caring again."

"Fake caring, what are you on about?" Patrick asked, pulling slightly on his t-shirt just seconds before his phone rang.

He hadn't planned on staying at Charlie's house for long. He thought he'd just hand him the referral letter, Charlie would appreciate it and he would leave. It was why he'd decided to make the trip a few minutes before the family lunch his mom had prepared. And now mama was calling.

"Mama," he said as he answered his phone.

"You are late. I hope some skinny girl hasn't persuaded you to miss lunch with your family."

"No mama, I'm coming."

Patrick watched as Charlie's face contorted slightly. It was a quick event and Charlie looked down at the table.

"Charlie..."

"Aren't you going?!"

"No. You were about to tell me something."

Charlie twisted his lips. "You know damn well what I'm talking about. Don't put on the raw prawn with me mate."

Patrick was about to talk when his phone rang again. Everyone was inpatient. Apparently they couldn't eat without him. He had no choice but to leave. He had a choice really, but he pretended he didn't. He couldn't stand there with Charlie accusing him of things he knew nothing about. Charlie hated him. But Charlie had no right. Patrick had been the one standing there reading words Charlie had scribbled with no remorse, having each word pierce through his heart.

*