Judgement

The main arena of Dimitri's compound had been set up as a full courtroom. At the imposing table at the head of the arena was seated the four surviving captains. Igor had insisted on chairing the trial and so he was seated in the centre. To his right was Branislav and to his left Evgeny. Dimitri sat next to Branislav. His role in the proceedings would be limited because of his personal connection to the accused.

Vlad watched the captains as they entered the main arena. He searched the face of Igor and saw his complete enjoyment of his central role in the court room. Vladimir felt his heart sink. If Igor had his way Lia would be executed that evening for her role in the attack by the General. The last captain in was Dimitri. Vlad looked at him closely and was encouraged by his demeanour. Although the shadows under his eyes were noticeable, he appeared in control of his emotions. Vlad hoped he could remain that way. What lay ahead could turn very unpleasant.

The final figure to enter the main arena was Lia. She was still dressed in the black of the General's army but the General's badge had been torn off her sleeve. Her arms were behind her back as her wrists were restrained with handcuffs. Vlad noticed with dismay that there was a bruise on her cheek and wondered what else she had endured in those chaotic moments in the General's Great Hall. The soldiers had immediately tried to restrain her but she had shot several before she was overpowered. There were so many men and weapons that Vlad was amazed she hadn't been shot actually. Once she was restrained, she had been bound and transported back to the city in Branislav's SUV. She had been imprisoned in the compound under heavy guard until the captains could be assembled.

Despite Dimitri's efforts to prevent his involvement, Igor had insisted on being part of the judges. His argument that they had all been betrayed by Lia had been supported by Branislav and Evgeny so Dimitri had had no choice but to acquiesce.  Vlad looked across at Dimitri. His face was a mask as he stared at the small figure of Lia in the middle of the arena. Igor held up his hand for silence and the commencement of the trial.

'Natalia, ally to the General you are here to answer for your crimes,' Igor began officially. 'Your crimes include murder, aiding and abetting a criminal and treason. These are serious crimes for which the punishment in our district is death. How do you plead?'

Dimitri felt physically ill. Igor really was going all out to convict and execute Lia. He looked to the middle of the room and the figure bound there.

'I plead not guilty,' said Lia firmly. Her voice carried across to the judges and crowd that was gathered to witness her trial.

'Your plea is noted,' Igor declared formally. 'Now you will have a chance to explain yourself on each of the charges. Then we will decide if we believe you or not. If we don't believe you we will sentence you accordingly.  Explain how you are not guilty of murder. People are dead because of you'.

Dimitri looked at Lia. Unexpectedly she smiled a small smile before she answered Igor's question. She appeared calmer than Dimitri had anticipated.

'I have killed two people,' Lia explained. 'One was an assassin who made an attempt on my life while I was still under Sergey's captaincy. The reason for the assassin targeting me is still unknown but since either he or I would die that night I plead self defence. Any one of us here would do the same if our lives were threatened. '

With relief Dimitri saw nods of agreement from Branislav and Evgeny. Igor however was not finished yet.

'What is the second murder you agree to committing, ' he asked abruptly.

Lia smiled at him. 'That was the General. And I think you can agree that was a service to all of us rather than a murder.'

There was an uproar in the arena at her words. Dimitri hoped it was in favour of Lia's statement.

Igor held up his hand for silence.

'You are remarkably calm on this serious charge,' he commented.

Lia smiled at him calmly. She shifted her gaze across to the figure of Dimitri seated at the table.  'There is nothing left in this world that matters to me. I am not afraid of your judgement or my death'.

Vlad turned quickly to look at Dimitri.  His face gave away no hint of what he was feeling but Vlad noticed his jaw clenching at Lia's words.

Igir glanced across at Dimitri.

'Do you want to respond?' he asked Dimitri.

Dimitri shook his head.

Branislav cleared his throat.

'I vote that we accept the explanation from the accused Natalia. In both cases the murder was in self defence.'

On the other side of Igor, Evgeny indicated his agreement. Igor was visibly angry but he had been outvoted two to one.

Turning to Lia again, Igor confronted her on the second charge.

'How do you plead to aiding and abetting a criminal?'

Lia didn't smile this time.

'I have no recollection of aiding or abetting a criminal.' she replied. 'As you know better than anyone else in this arena, I have a memory block in place.'

Igor finally looked triumphant. Two places down from him Dimitri felt sick to his stomach. The thing he had feared the most was about to happen. Dimitri glanced at Vlad and saw the same horror on his face.

'There can be no judgement on this charge without a memory search,' Igor declared. 'I vote that we conduct one on you Natalia in order to find out the truth of the matter in the case of aiding and abetting a criminal and treason. '

Dimitri looked at the small figure in the middle of the arena. Lia looked straight at Igor and smiled sadly.

'If a memory search will give you the answers you require then I will submit to it,' she replied. 'Even if it kills me in the process'.

Igor smiled a victorious smile.

'Then so be it,' he said loudly. 'Tomorrow we will meet in the main arena at midday. There we will discover the truth of the matter in the case of Natalia.'

Igor stood impassively while Lia was taken from the arena under heavy guard. Then he dismissed the people in the arena. Branislav, Evgeny and Igor left with their encourages. Vlad looked at the table where the captains had been seated. Only Dimitri remained. He stared at the place where Lia had stood with an unreadable expression. Slowly he stood up and left the main arena.