Eighth

The man came closer toward us, in the dark I could barely make out his features. A strong jaw line, straight nose and blonde hair. He had crows feet around his golden eyes. He was wearing a suit and tie and his hair was parted and gelled. It was like looking into Vox's future, the man standing before us was an older copy of Vox. "As I was working down on the 7th floor, I got an alert that I had opened the 100th floor door." His voice was laced with anger mixed with disappointment. "Now it could have been a glitch in the system, but I figured I would come check it out. And low and behold I find my son trespassing on government property to show a girl the pretty stars."

Vox swallowed but didn't speak. His face showed that he had sobered up at the sight of his father. He didn't make eye contact with him, he stayed staring down at the ground.

"It was my fault." Vox's head snapped up to meet my eyes. I didn't know why I was saying this, but I decided to chalk it up to all the champagne I had. I looked back at Mr. Bly. "I kept complaining how I couldn't see the stars here, so I forced Vox to take me here."

Mr. Bly's golden eyes finally focused on me, "Just because I matched you with my son doesn't mean I like you, it doesn't mean I want you to make my son happy, it doesn't even mean I think you are worthy to be apart of this family. It means that you're hear to supply us with the next generation. That's all you are good for. So, I encourage you to keep your mouth shut and your nose out of things that don't concern you."

I stared at him in disbelief. I couldn't believe that he just said that. That he had actually told me that I was only here to be a baby maker. That I wasn't useful for anything else. What an arrogant asshole.

That's when I actually started to think. I started to think about Mrs. Bly and how her only job was to make the next generation. When that job was over she just filled her life with parties and balls that her husband couldn't be bothered to attend. She had been taken from her home to this god forsaken place with him, all because his father matched them together. I didn't want to end up like her, with no life purpose, filling my time with frivolous activities. And it would be the same way for our children. Vox would choose some innocent girl to be thrown into this family against her will so she could bring forth another generation of Blys.

I thought of Hal and how she didn't even have a chance to be a mother. She wouldn't get to bring forth a new generation, all because she wasn't arranged with some stranger. If this was like the world I read about in romance novels, she'd fall in love with Mr. Right, and live happily ever after. But this wasn't like that world. And Halston wasn't matched.

Lincoln Bly was the most powerful man in the country. He had the ability to rip families apart. He had the power to force people to marry. He could match whoever he wished. He could ruin lives. But he could also make lives. He could make new families, create a new bond between people. And soon, Vox would have that power.

I hadn't realized that I had zoned out until the car had pulled up the house. When did we get here? How did we get past Mr. Bly? I was still a little dazed and confused from the combination of champagne and our encounter with Mr. Bly.

We walked into the house in silence. Vox walked me to my door. He paused and placed his fingers on the bridge of his nose. "Look, I'm sorry about what he said. He was more mad at me than you."

I frowned, but didn't say a word.

"He said something similar to Yale once. You know who Yale is, right?" I nodded. "Well, anyway he said something along the lines of 'you don't deserve to be apart of this family', and 'you're lucky I picked you. I could have easily replaced you with another girl.' But after a while, she grew on him. He was pretty broken up over her death. So, I'm sure it'll be the same for you. Just don't do anything to agitate him, okay?"