Chapter 1 : Encounter

"Chelsea?"

Chelsea jumped lightly, almost dropping her book. She felt her face flush before she even looked up. Once she did, she started at the sight of the girl in front of her. She saw a slim figure and long black hair that was thrown over her right shoulder. Her hair reached the top of Chelsea's desk. It was Ashley. Chelsea wasn't friends with her, or at least she thought she wasn't, but she at least knew her. Chelsea forced a smile at her. "Yes?" asked Chelsea. She heard her own voice tremble a little. Although she knows Ashley, she was still nervous.

Ashley crossed her arms over her chest. "What's wrong with you? You didn't bother to wave at me across the room this morning. Hell, you didn't even look at me in homeroom." Ashley certainly didn't look pleased. She didn't want to sound angry with Chelsea, but she couldn't help it. Especially this week. She saw Chelsea's surprised expression and let out a sigh. "Look, I'm sorry I kinda yelled at you, but you're my friend so I want you to act like it. It's bad enough that you hardly talk." As she turned to walk back to her desk, she ruffled Chelsea's hair, leaving Chelsea with messy hair. Of course, she fixed it.

You're my friend, Ashley had said, so I want you to act like it. Well, how are friends supposed to act? Chelsea was new to this "friendship" thing. Well, not really. She had a friend named Nathan for 8 years until he unfortunately moved out of Teltick City, her home. He was really the only friend she had. Shaking her head slightly, she continued to read her book.

Every once in awhile, Chelsea looked up just to see what was going on. Usually, she saw students sitting on desks, students pushing each other, students kissing, and so on. But today, she saw something much different. At the door entrance she saw a boy. Chelsea knew that her face had flushed already.

The boy was wearing a black long-sleeved T-shirt with the sleeves pushed up, navy blue jeans torn at his knees, black Converse shoes, and had beautiful white hair, or at least seemed white in the light. His hair, other than being white, was kind of long compared to other haircuts. He was stunning, Chelsea thought. What sent chills up her spine was his eyes. They were incredibly beautiful. His eye color was blue. Chelsea always wanted blue eyes. Instead, she got stuck with brown eyes.

He shot her a quick glance. Although it was just a glance, it felt like he was staring at her for more than 5 minutes. Chelsea lifted her book to her face to block her view of him. After a minute or so, she lowered her book to check if he was still there. He was gone. Chelsea let out a sigh of relief. Pushing a red strand of hair behind her ear, she closed her book and looked toward the chalkboard in front of the class.

Chelsea loved school, more than her home, honestly, but at times, she wished she had a place to go where no one would find her. She didn't feel like she fit in at all. All the other girls wore makeup, jewelry, wore stuff like skirts and dresses, and dated boys. Chelsea disliked makeup, wasn't that interested in jewelry, hated skirts and dresses, and didn't find a point in dating. From what she's seen, dating was all about kissing and holding hands and hugging each other. Just thinking about it was funny enough to make her giggle.

The bell rang, almost causing Chelsea to scream. Fortunately, she covered her mouth in time. Strands of hair fell to cover her face. Damn it, she thought. Once she pushed her hair back again, she took a deep breath, let it out slowly, sat up straight, folded her hands, and looked at her teacher, beginning her history class.

***

"Man, that lesson was boring!" a boy with black hair exclaimed as he went out the door. Class was surprisingly already over.

Chelsea packed her books into her old backpack and started toward the door. Waving goodbye at the teacher, she tried to picture the boy she had seen earlier. Did he really look at her? If so, why? Did he really have white hair? So many questions filled her head, she wanted to yell. Of course, she couldn't. With that thought pushing away her questions, she headed to her next class, Algebra 2. That was her least favorite class. She had trouble understanding it.