Still Probably October 19th Part 3

It was an hour into their flight before they spoke, the boys concentrating on putting as much distance as they could between them and the Ehesh mountain while Leah concentrated on not falling off. The drizzle didn’t help any, the water making Sam’s hide slicker than it had been already. You’re flying better than I thought you’d be able to, she said to Sam quietly, not wanting to distract him.

            I was practicing in that room whenever I had time. I knew I’d have to fly to escape. Luckily part of me remembered the basics or we’d have hit the ground long before now. How are you holding up?

            I haven’t fallen and that’s all I care about. That and the people following us. I haven’t noticed any of them but I think your guys’ senses are better than mine. Any sign? She asked, shifting her head so she could see him better.

            He shook his head slightly, squinting into the rain at Kevin’s barely visible body, his white scales the only reason he could be seen at all in the darkness. No but I don’t think I’d notice. Kevin would be the better one to ask.

            You have a point, she replied before turning her mind to her partner. Kevin, are we being followed?

            He glanced back at her, only the slight movement of the shape ahead telling her that. She sensed his hesitation before he said Yes. I am afraid they have gotten closer. I have never been a fast flyer and Sanat is still barely fledged despite his size. I fear they will reach us before too long. I only hope that we can cross the border in our lands first. We will have the advantage there.

            We can’t be that close already, can we? It took us like six hours on the way here, she said, frowning.

            At that time we were attempting to sneak in and so I took us on a much more circuitous route. There is no point in hiding as they know we are here already so we are taking the most direct route back. We are also flying much faster. Both stealth and carrying you had slowed my speed. It is one of the reasons I had Sanat carry you. He is far more suited to the task and has the muscle, infrequently used as it has been, to carry you and continue with reasonable speed.

            Leah nodded. When all this is over and we’re safe, remind me to hit you for calling me fat.

She could sense his confusion but ignored it, mostly because Sam chose that moment to ask Do you think they’ll catch up?

Kevin says they will pretty soon. He’s trying to get us over the border first. I’m assuming because we can easily get backup from the rest of his family that way, she replied, eyes locked ahead of them, willing the red mountain of this morning to appear.

You talked to Kevin? How? He’s so far ahead I couldn’t hear him unless he roared.

Leah sighed. We’re partners Temporary ones, sort of. It’s a weird dragon thing. But it means I don’t have to touch him to be able to talk into his head and vice versa. He did say getting too far away would stop it but I guess we’re still in range.

Partners or partners? She could hear the frown in Sam’s mind voice.

Partners. Now you’d better focus on flying. I don’t think any of us want to get caught in Ehesh territory, she said, the grip her legs had on him tightening. I don’t think we’ll survive it.

Sam nodded and swept his wings back and down in one powerful motion, trying to up their speed. As if he sensed the change, Kevin too began flying faster. But even that wasn’t enough. After a few dozens of minutes, Leah could tell that they were slowing.

Kevin, what’s wrong?

They are almost upon us. We cannot escape and we are only just reaching the border plain. We will not make it across before they reach us. You two must fly ahead, he told her, his speed dropping further.

The hell we are! You’re coming with us. If they catch us over the border then we’ll just have to fight our way across, she snapped back.

Sam was matching his speed to Kevin’s, his head swivelling between the two of them, sensing that they were talking. You two must get across first. Sanat is the last of his line and my charge. I had a responsibility for him. Fly ahead and I will join you when I am able. My magic is at full strength and I am certain I can slow them.

She glared at him, shaking her head. It’s too dangerous.

He hissed something long and wavering to Sam, who jerked his head up to stare. He answered but after an even longer and louder hiss that bordered on a growl, he nodded. Leah didn’t have a chance to ask what was happening before Sam turned and sped back up.

What are you doing? She yelled into his head, making him whine in pain. We can’t leave him!

He needs us out of the way to do his big magic. He’s also worried about you. If it comes to a fight in the air, you’re almost certain to fall off and die. So we’re going on ahead. He said he’ll catch up when he can.

Leah’s grip on him tightened as she continued to glare behind them at the quickly disappearing Kevin. If he was capable of lying I wouldn’t agree to this. As it is, I guess all we can do is find help as soon as possible. Once we’re over the border we need to start yelling for help. Can you go any faster?

His answer was to flap his wings harder as he stretched out his neck. She nodded and dropped her head, hoping to make them more aerodynamic as she prayed that Kevin didn’t do anything too reckless.