Back to Normal

After you had left town with your tail between your legs, the three of you had headed straight back for the bunker. With no cases to be heard of, there was no where else to be, and it felt good to have a place you considered home to go to. You had fallen asleep in the back of the Impala, while Sam kept Dean company as he drove through the empty back roads. 

As you groggily came to, you heard Sam and Dean talking in hushed whispers. As you struggled to wake up, you heard your name being brought up, and you stilled. "So, I promised Y/N I wouldn't say anything, but she's asleep. So, what's up between the two of you?" Sam asked his brother.

You knew it was bad to eavesdrop, to pretend you were still sleeping. But you couldn't help yourself, you really wanted to hear what Dean would say. And you knew he wouldn't say anything, or he would blow it off if he knew you were awake.

"Sam, it's not what it looked like." Dean said, and you could feel your entire body tense. "We shared a kiss, and a bed. It doesn't have to mean anything."

You weren't surprised to hear the words. You truly weren't. But it still made your heart twist. "But what if it does? Or if it meant something to Y/N?" Sam insisted.

"Sam, why are you so insistent?" Dean asked his brother, his tone portraying his annoyance. "Sure, she's an amazing kisser, and I wouldn't mind kissing her, or even more again. And for sharing the bed? That was nice, but it wasn't a big deal. So, I'm not going to push things, and we'll see what happens. But hell, I don't even know how long she'll stick around." Dean said, his last sentence hinting at his fear of being left again.

"Dean," Sam started, but Dean leaned forward, turning on the radio, stopping the conversation. It was the perfect time to how you were awake, and you yawned loudly. 

"Finally, sleepyhead. You were snoring so loud I wanted to drop you off on the side of the road. Sammy here wouldn't let me." Dean teased, as Sam gave you a smile.

"I do not snore." You argued, and Dean just chuckled. 

"Whatever you say sweetheart." He said, just as he pulled into the bunker's garage. You slid out, stretching your back, missing the fact that Dean's eyes traveled on the exposed skin of your stomach from where your shirt rode up. Taking your bag from Sam, you made your way into the main hallway of the bunker, heading straight for your room, wanting nothing more than torelax on your own bed. To think about how your relationship with Dean had changed in such a short amount of time, and what you were planning on doing about it.

As you opened your door, you felt a hand reach out, and slap your ass. "Where do you think you're going?"

Jumping in shock, you turned to face Dean, who looked extremely pleased at himself. "What are you talking about?" You asked him, as you raised your hand and smacked him hard on the shoulder. 

"Ouch! What was that for? And I was saying you should come into the library, have a beer with me. Sam's probably gonna lock himself in his bedroom, read a book." Dean said, rubbing his shoulder.

"Because you slapped my ass! And no thanks, I'm gonna pull a Sam, and relax in my room. I need some me time." You told him, ready to close your door in his face.

"Well, it's a really nice ass, I couldn't resist." He said, winking. "And if me time is some sort of code word, I could always help you with that."

Shoving on his chest, you were able to push him back a couple of steps. "Is your mind ever out of the gutter? I just want to relax, and listen to myself think. Goodnight Dean." You said, shutting the door behind you.

Changing into a pair of shorts and a tank top, you climbed into your bed, pulling your tattered copy of (favorite story) from it's position on your nightstand. Lounging against your headboard, you opened the book up, but your mind wasn't on the story in front of you. It was on the man you had just closed a door on, and how you should handle the situation.

Closing the book and tossing it to the side, you shut the light off, deciding you would sleep on it, hoping that things would be clearer in the morning. 

______________________________________

Walking into the kitchen, you could smell the intoxicating aroma of cooking bacon. Dean was standing at the stove, humming some sort of song as he scrambled up some eggs. Sam was nowhere to be seen, but the coffee was percolating off to the side.

"Morning sweetheart." Dean said, grabbing two plates and dishing up the food. Handing you one, he sat down at the table, scarfing the food up before it grew cold.

You stirred the eggs, your mind deep in thought. "Dean." You mumbled, and he looked up at you, a piece of bacon hanging from his mouth.

"What? The eggs not to your liking?" He asked, before chewing the bacon.

"It's not that." You hedged, trying to figure out how you were going to tell him your decision.

"Okay." He said, sitting down his coffee cup. "What is it?"

"I've been thinking." You started, and he interrupted you.

"That's never a good thing." He teased, and you glared at him, his teasing cementing your decision.

"And I wanted to talk about the kiss." You kept on going, and he sighed.

"We've already talked about it." He argued, scooping up another forkful of eggs and shoving them into his mouth.

"I know. But I was just thinking, it shouldn't happen again." You admitted, stopping him from another mouthful. "It was nice, but you and I, we didn't really even like each other before it, and I don't think it's a good idea to mix a relationship with hunting." You blurted out, trying to get your point across as fast as possible.

"Where is this coming from?" He asked you, sitting the fork down and giving you his full attention.

"I just, it's nice. Being here, with you and Sam. Having a place to call home, for as long as you let me. And I'm afraid that if act on that kiss, and more, it could ruin that." You told him, waiting for his reaction.

"Okay." Was all he said, and it was your turn to be shocked.

"Okay? That's all you can say?" You asked him, and he nodded.

"If that's the way you feel, I'm not going to push things. Yeah the kiss was nice, but who knows. If we tried to take it further we might have ended up killing each other. So I agree. Let's keep it strictly friendly." He said, taking his now empty plate to the sink. "Which means your stuck with dish duty."

You watched him walk away, amazed at how easily he had taken your suggestion, feeling a little disappointed that he hadn't argued.