When Clary was at the opening of the City, Echo spoke, "You can do this, Clary. I'll be here when you get back."

Clary gave a smile and took Jace's hand, letting him lead her into the darkness. When the last strand of red hair disappeared, Echo felt worried. She knew what the Brothers were capable of and she didn't approve of her little sister facing them.

Soon, Isabelle and Simon fell back to the van when Simon was complaining about how long it was taking, leaving Echo and Alec to guard the gate. Echo was fidgeting with her hair and her clothes and her skin, just to pass the time. Alec noticed her uneasiness and felt that spark of protection in his chest.

"Stop worrying at your skin. You're going to rub it to the bone."

Echo shook her hands out and stood up. She stretched her head side-to-side and tugged at her snug shirt.

Alec felt fidgety just looking at her, he took a step toward her, "Do you still have the Seraph blade?"

Echo let go of her shirt and pulled the blade handle from her belt.

"Open it."

Echo looked down at the blade willing it to open. After a few grueling seconds, the blade slid out of the handle, adding weight to Echo's arm. The blade was much duller than she had thought it would have been. In the club, when Clary opened the blade, it was vibrant and opaque. Echo's was dying and plain.

"Can you feel its power?" Alec asked looking from Echo to the blade.

Echo willed the blade to burn brighter, but it was a dud; she shook her head, "No, I can't feel anything."

Alec took the blade from her hands and immediately it sparked to life and lit up the entire area.

Once satisfied that the blade actually worked, Alec handed it back to Echo. Echo took it in her left hand and was disappointed when the vibrancy nullified. Echo gave a frustrated groan.

"What am I doing wrong?"

Alec shook his head, "It might take some time."

Echo stared at the blade until her eyes started to burn. The blade didn't get any brighter. Soon Echo's frustrations made her give a slight grunt. She slid the Seraph blade back into the handle and shoved it into her waistband.

Alec let his eyes linger on Echo before looking around the perimeter for threats.

Echo turned her attention to the gate of the Silent City when she heard hurried footsteps. Jace and Clary pushed through the dark and Echo could see the look of horror written across Clary's face.

"Clary, what happened?"

Echo's frustration was gone and she was focused on Clary. Clary looked up at her sister with tears in her eyes.
"Valentine is Cla—Your father."

Alec came up behind Echo as Echo looked at Clary, "Is that true?" Alec could start to see Echo shake.

Clary cleared her mind, "You didn't know?"

Echo shook her head, "No. I didn't"

Alec looked at Jace, "You're telling me that these two show up out of nowhere, and are Valentine's daughters?"

"You think I planned for my mom to get kidnapped?"

Echo didn't hear what Clary had said next; she had pushed past Alec and tried so hard to remember to when she was only three years old. Echo could vaguely see a man with little hair on his head. He had on a smile and there were black runes creeping up from under his shirt collar.

"He's gone?"

Echo let her mind come back to reality.

"I can't find him."

Echo looked over at Isabelle who looked like a small child being punished for creating a mess.

"You were supposed to protect him!"

Clary pushed past Isabelle in a rage and started to shout for Simon. They all ran back to the van and Simon's phone was sitting on the passenger seat. Echo sighed and started to look around for the teenager.

"Simon!"

"Is that the Mundane's name?"

Everyone had their head up toward the suspicious voice that spoke. Simon was dangling by his feet with two pale faces beside him.

"I'm afraid Simon's coming with us."

Clary pushed Echo out of the way to try to get to Simon but Jace stopped her.

"No, he isn't apart of this."

"Clary," Echo said under her breath.

"And it would be my pleasure to kill you, if you don't return him." Jace's voice held a surprising amount of anger.

Alec kept his gaze up at Simon, "Careful, we would be breaking the Accords."

"I'm afraid your sidekick's right. The night children have broken no laws, we are negotiating."

Echo gave a sigh; they were vampires.

"The Mundane in exchange for the mortal cup. And the clock is ticking."

With in their next blink, Simon vanished.

Echo sighed, "Damn it."

"Simon! Simon!"

"Clary, shut up. There is no use in yelling."

Clary looked over at her sister, "We have to get him back!"

"And we will, we just need to come up with a plan first."

"We need to get back to the Institute."

Alec was on high alert, keeping his knees bent. Clary huffed and hurried into the van as the rest of the Shadowhunters followed.