Chapter 22

Edited: 30-12-2016

I'm ready for qualifying. Max is already in the car and I'm sitting in my chair. The other two practices went well. Max finished 5th in today's last practice. Nico Rosberg crashed and they had to change his gearbox, so he has a penalty of 4 places. So if he finished first today, he starts from P5.

The first round of qualifying starts, and Max just needs to set a decent time, as it's usually the same ones getting out. Max goes out after Daniel, just doing a good lap.

"Okay Max, good lap, lap time is 1.07.131" I tell him. I don't hear anything back, but Christian says Max sometimes does that.

At the end of qualifying round 1, Magnussen, Palmer, Haryanto, Kvyat, Ericsson and Nasr are out. Max set a fourth time with Ricciardo on 9th. Rosberg had fastest time with Hamilton behind him and Vettel on 3rd.

Round 2 just started and both Mercedes' are out already. Some are following and I see Max's car soon after. Hamilton got a first place, with Rosberg soon behind him. Max is now setting his first time, which isn't great.

"P8 right now Max, for the second go, push a bit harder" I tell him.

"Didn't have much grip with these tyres" Max replies.

"Okay, do you need other tyres?" I ask him.

"Yeah, wanna try on the softs" he says. I reply to him first and then go to the team radio.

"Max needs softs for the second go, he doesn't have grip with the super softs" I say through the radio.

"Copy Jas" Marcel says. Ever since last practice, I've been hanging with Marcel and I really like to talk to him. He explains a lot what happens during the practices and stuff and we're on nickname bases.

Soon, some go out for a second go and Max goes as well, while Daniel stays in as he has a 4th time. Max does his outlap and his lap starts. I see his sector times getting better than his first one. He finishes his lap and puts down a 5th time.

"Fifth time Max, great lap, lap time is 1.06.866"

"Thanks Jasmin" he replies. Both Perez and Sainz failed to set a lap time, Alonso, Grosjean, Wehrlein and Guttierez are out as well. The last round is the most important one. Max needs to a good lap time to have a good start position.

Every car puts down a time but we all know they're going for a second round, so these times don't really matter. With only 2 minutes to go, Max goes out, which is quiet late.

"Max, push a bit, other wise you won't make it in time" I say. I don't get a reply. Rules are that if the flag is out and you crosses finish line, you are not allowed to put down a new time. Everyone is on time, the flag is out and on that moment, Max crosses the line, which means he's not allowed to set down a time.

"You were to late Max, make sure you make room for the other drivers who are setting down a time" I tell him and hope that not everyone is quicker this round. I keep seeing him being pushed down further, the more drivers put down times. When the last driver crosses the line, I sigh hard.

Hamilton has pole position, followed by Rosberg, Hulkenberg, Vettel, Button, Raikkonen, Ricciardo, Bottas, Max and Massa in 10th. Luckily, both Rosberg and Vettel have a gearbox change, which puts Max in 8th start position. Rosberg is pushed down to P6 and Vettel to P9. All the drivers are back in their garages and I just slowly make my way to Max's.

I walk into his garage, being met by his sad look. I wanted to be mad at him for not listening, but seeing his face, I kind of not want to.

"I'm sorry" is the first the the says to me.