Chapter 15: Capture

"No, Eren!" Petra screeches. "Stop! You're only permitted to assume titan form when your life is in extreme peril. That was the agreement; you swore an oath!"

"I wouldn't blame you," Levi says loud enough for everyone to hear. "Do as your conscious dictates. But, Eren, listen. You are not inherently evil, your ability to change doesn't make you a monster. That said, it could be the other way around. How are you supposed to know where to draw the line whether you lose control or freely give it up? Maybe it's the same.

"Look, Eren, we don't agree because our experiences bring us to opposing view. That's life. At the end of the day, there's no reason to go against how you see it. The choice is yours; trust yourself, or you can trust the people willing to put their lives on the line for you. I don't know which way is better, I never have. Should I act on my own instincts or put myself in the hands of my comrades and trust them?"

Levi pauses for a moment. "Either way, there's no guarantee. In the end, you choose what you choose. If afterwards your regrets are at a minimum, then good for you."

You know exactly the event he's probably having a flashback of and speaking of unbeknownst to the rest of the team. You hold Levi closer as if giving him a hug from behind in an attempt to comfort his dark thoughts. He, again, puts a hand on yours that are around his torso in unspoken communication, letting you know he's okay.

"Eren," Petra says, "trust us."

You sincerely hope Eren takes into account the incident that occurred during a break a couple of weeks ago where his arm shifted to its titan form when he tried to pick up a spoon. You and Levi guarded him against the others who admitted later they were in the wrong for doing what they did, but also that they all need to trust each other in the end.

"Eren, come on! Make up your damn mind!" Levi shouts.

"I'm with you!" Eren yells.

You commend him for his decision and can only hope it's the right one for all of you. Also, the stomping of the female titan speeding up had gone almost unnoticed until now.

"Target is accelerating!" Gunther bellows.

"Keep moving! We'll outrun the bitch!" Levi directs.

The female titan is basically on top of the squad, and just when you think it might be all over, a crashing sound vibrates in the air. Ropes shoot out from all directions and encase the female titan, but you push ahead as the dust kicks up to block the sight of what's now happening behind the seven of you.

"Everyone," Levi says in order to get their attention, "hide your horses a bit further on and switch to 3D Maneuver Gear. I have to break away for a little while. (Y/N)'s in charge until I get back. Tuck Eren somewhere out of sight away from the female titan."

You tense for a moment and the words that leave your mouth in a whisper are impulsive.

"Be careful."

"You too," Levi replies, bringing a knee up on the saddle then zipping off in the trees.

You take the reigns of the horse and scoot so you're sitting in the middle.

"Wait, what!?" Eren exclaims, looking back at the results of the true plan.

"So what do you think of us now, Eren!? We managed to outsmart the damn thing!" Gunther yells.

"Let this be a lesson to you, Kid. Don't ever underestimates the Scouts! Never again. Agree!?" Oluo hollers.

"Agreed!"

You grin at their anger and petrification diffusing to pride and understanding. You were worried they would freak out about not knowing the revealed intentions, but they seem perfectly okay.

"(Y/N), did you know about this?" Oluo inquires.

"I'll be honest with you. Yes, I did. Captain Levi and I both wished to tell you, but we were under strict orders from Commander Erwin. I'm sorry," you answer, glancing over your shoulder.

"No worries, we understand. If too many people knew, the information could have gotten out," Petra comments.

You nod and look forward down the long stretch of rocks and dirt. You hear more booming sounds from behind, but you don't want to look back. You lead the team down another path to the left where a heavily wooded area is, order everyone to dismount their horses and use their 3DMG to get up on higher ground.

"Can you explain to us exactly what the plan was, (Y/N)?" Eld asks as you take out your blades.

You explain what Levi told you and Erwin's course of action from the beginning. They're awed at how their Commander did every last detail with intricate precision and decisiveness.

"So that was the plan from the start?" Eren questions, receiving a nod in confirmation from you. "Look, I'm not complaining, I get keeping it from me, but keeping you guys in the dark? You'd think you earned a little more trust than that, right?"

Fuck you, Eren.

"Damn, you're annoying," Oluo retorts.

"I hope you're not suggesting the captain kept the plan from us because he thinks we're a liability!" Petra accuses.

"I'm sorry, but I am. There's just no other way it makes sense!" Eren points out.

"Look, I hate to say it, but he's got a point. For being as important to the plan as we were, the captain didn't give us much to go on," Eld chimes in.

You lean back against the bark of the tree and allow them to filter their feelings out--an event you hoped wouldn't happen. It seems they don't understand as well as you thought.

"So what?" Gunther asks.

"That means he doesn't trust us, kind of a big deal. Come on you guys, think about it. Maybe Eren isn't the only one who can change. Maybe someone in the regiment is a titan spy," Eld guesses.

"Okay, enough of this shit," you interrupt and push off the tree.

"Why did you get to know about this, huh, (Y/N)?" Oluo questions.

"Yeah, that's not fair at all. Why the hell do you always get special treatment?" Petra ponders.

"Relax," you say and make a quick decision. "I've been here a long time and Levi and I have known each other longer. I'm not one for storytelling, so I'll say this: he keeps me informed on these types of expeditions because he needs someone to know and he trusts me the most.

"That's not to say he doesn't trust any of you, because he does more than any other team he's had. Commander Erwin is the one who kept this so hushed for good reason. Don't let caution get confused with mistrust."

A round of silence is passed about until one of them decides to speak for the others.

"All right. It was for a good reason," Eld admits. "Eren, I can understand why you still have your doubts, but in time you'll come to realize just like we all did, why Erwin Smith was entrusted to lead the Scouts and carry humanity's hope."

"Commanders must do the jobs others are afraid to and carry the weight of their decisions no matter what. It's the toughest job out there and Erwin handles it with grace. If you can't see that now, I promise you will," you say.

All of a sudden, a blaring howling noise fills the empty air and you know immediately that something has gone wrong.