Chapter 13

Monday, December 9, 2013

“I didn’t know you wrote songs.” Rachel told Sam. He bit his lip. They were Skyping.

“I never really told anyone. Blaine only knew because he’s incredibly nosy and was going through my book bag one day.” She giggled.

“Well, I want to hear one of your originals then. The whole song, I mean.”

“I don’t know-”

“Blaine sent me the video of you singing in Glee club today. That was really good.” He blushed slightly.

“Thanks.”

“Will you play it for me? Please?” She gave him the puppy dog eyes. He chuckled and nodded. He set his computer on his desk and got his guitar. He sat in his computer chair.

“Which one? The one that I sang in glee club?” She nodded. He bit his lip as he tuned it. He played her the song and she swayed back and forth as he sang it for her.

“It’s really good, Sam.”

“Thank you.” She smiled at him.”Did Blaine tell you why I was singing it?”

“No, he just sent the video to me and said it was one of your originals.”

“Well, apparently, there’s going to be this song writing competition every year from now on, but it’s only for Seniors. He asked if me, Blaine, Tina or Artie wrote songs and Blaine told him that I did and he stole my notebook from me again and let Mr. Schue see it. Then I sang the song and now we’re here.”

“Are you going to enter the competition? And what do you get if you win?”

“He didn’t say, I don’t think he knows yet. And I don’t know if I am. I wouldn’t win it anyway.”

“I bet you would! Do you have anymore songs?” She asked.

“I have a couple.”

“Can I hear those too?” She asked.

“Don’t you have to work?”

“I had the afternoon shift today so I’m free for the rest of the day.” He grinned. For the next hour or so, he played some of his songs for her.

“Oh my gosh, I don’t know which one my favorite is. I love all of them!” She said, grinning widely. He chuckled.”Do you know which one you’re going to enter?”

“I don’t know. I was thinking maybe ‘Stand’ or ‘Stitches’.” He said. She bit her lip.

“What was the first song you ever wrote?”

“Stand.”

“When did you write it?”

“When I was a Sophomore.”

“Who is it about?”

“Basically everyone in the Glee club. Because everyone was getting insulted or bullied or something like that for being in Glee club or just in general but all of y’all ignored it and...yeah.” She giggled.

“Well, I think you should enter that one, and if they ask why, you tell them that.” He smiled at her and nodded. They talked some more and she said,”I really can’t wait for Christmas break next week.”

“How many weeks do you have off?”

“Three. Starting on the 14th and ending on the 4th.”

“Lucky! We only have two.” He playfully glared at her and she giggled and shrugged.

“That’s just how it is, and I need a break. You know, I wasn’t going to come back home for Christmas.”

“Really? Why?”

“Because I didn’t have a reason to come back. My dads are always on business trips so I would be by myself on Christmas.”

“So why are you coming back? Not that I don’t want you to, I do.”

“Well, you’re the reason, actually.”

“Seriously?” She nodded.

“Yep. I mean, everyone hated me in High school-”

“No they didn’t. No one hates you, Rachel.”

“Well it sure felt like it. I just didn’t really feel welcome but now I do.” She smiled at him. He grinned back at her.

“I hate that you felt that way.”

“It’s not your fault. I was waiting for a slushy facial when I stepped into the school.”

“You didn’t, did you?”

“No, no, trust me, you’d have known if I did because Kurt would have made a big deal about it.” Sam laughed.

“He makes a big deal out of everything.”

“True.”

TIME SKIP
Saturday, December 14, 2013

“Are your parents coming back for Christmas or are you going to Kentucky?” Rachel asked as the two walked around the mall.

“I honestly don’t know. They haven’t said anything about it and I don’t think I’ll be able to go.”

“Oh. If it makes you feel any better, I won’t get to see my dads either.” He looked at her and she giggled. He chuckled and he grabbed her hand.

“You know you’re more than welcome to stay at Carole and Burt’s house.”

“I know, but you and Kurt are staying there and it would be too crowded.” He looked at her.”What?”

“Nothing.” He grinned and looked forward.

“What?” He shook his head.”Samuel, why did you look at me like that?”

“Look at you like what?”

“I don’t know, like you just did.”

“Oh. You’re just really pretty.” She felt her cheeks heating up and she looked down, trying to keep herself from smiling. He just grinned and they kept walking.