Chapter 13: Lessons

Gunther, Eren, Petra and Eld race off to get back to the castle while you and Levi keep a brisk pace to discuss the expedition's true objective further along with the new recruits that should have arrived at the castle by now.

"I think that Mikasa girl wants to kill you," you say.

"She's just mad because I beat up her little boyfriend to save his life," Levi replies boredly.

"She's protective over Eren because she loves him. She's too focused on what you did that she's blinded herself on why you did it."

"That blindness is going to get her killed if she lets personal feelings for him cloud her judgement outside the walls," he says.

"True, but she is the most skilled soldier of her class and can take care of herself, I'm just worried she may not be willing to take orders because of her feelings."

Levi nods his head. "I don't care if she wants to protect him because she loves him, but I don't want someone like that in the Survey Corps if they're reckless with their life."

You agree and your horses gallop faster as the castle comes into view. The sun is preparing to set, so Eren should be finishing his chores in the stables and the new recruits should be ready to complete their training for the day.

You dismount once you get to the cement and you and Levi lead your horses by their reigns to the stables. You're walking around the wooden fortress and between another small shack when you hear voices on the other side. You stop next to Levi when the source becomes clear to be the recruits with Eren Jaeger and someone does not look happy at all.

"Have they mistreated you in any way, like forcing you into any cruel experiments or some sort of mental anguish?" you both clearly hear Mikasa ask with evident worry in her tone.

You and Levi share a what-the-fuck look at her outlandish question because there's no way in hell you would do any of that to a comrade and you're taken aback, not to mention offended, that she would even ask something so crazy.

"No, not at all," Eren answers hastily.

A dark look overcomes Mikasa's face. "That pipsqueak took it way too far. I will make him pay for it one day."

"Hold on, you mean Captain Levi?" Eren questions.

You notice Levi's bland features and nudge his shoulder in order to tell him to keep moving. You feel yourself getting a bit angered at Mikasa's words for the fact that she's talking down to someone as well-respected as Levi and then claims to be able to defeat him.

"That kid has some learning to do as well," you grumble as you lock your horse back into its stable.

"It doesn't bother me, but I agree. They all do. They may be fighters and soldiers now, but they're still young, annoying rookies. It's a shitty world we live in and they either need to grow up or they're going to die," Levi says.

"If she tries to harm you, I'll end up killing her myself."

Levi doesn't respond to your statement and the two of you instead take a walk around the castle to stretch your legs from the long ride.

You know you relate to Mikasa in the way of wanting to protect the one you love most, but you would never let that overcome you to the point of not knowing right from wrong. In this situation, what Levi did was essential to Eren's survival and even Eren understands that much, but she doesn't. You're not planning to take action against her unless she physically threatens Levi, but it seems she's willing to take whatever opportunity shows itself. That is the difference between an adult and a child.

"If you keep that death glare up, people will start mistaking you for me," Levi says.

You relax your facial muscles and give a little grin. "Yes, we wouldn't want that because no one would recognize the best soldier anymore."

"Tch," Levi scoffs.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding."

✱✱✱

The next seven days are filled with intense preparation and training, especially for the newbies. You were surprised at how many actually joined, but pleasantly so. This expedition is sure to end in many casualties, and the more soldiers, the increase of success.

The wagons have been packed with supplies and you're all to meet Erwin at the front gate in an hour's time. You're helping Levi, Mike, Ness and Hanji round up all the soldiers along with the other second-in-commands to get a vague outline of the formation since when you get to the gate, you'll be immediately required to transition into it.

"Is everyone in their proper position?" Levi asks.

"Yeah, but Eren is speaking to Mikasa at the moment where she's position toward the front, Sir," you inform him.

Levi scans the area--which is hard because of his height--until he spots his target.

"Jaeger! Get your ass over here!" he shouts.

The soldiers go silent from Levi's powerful voice even though that wasn't the intention. Eren, on the other hand, is startled and starts running over.

"Sorry, Sir!" he apologizes quickly before hoisting himself on the middle horse.

"All ready, Levi. Let's get going," Mike says.

"I'm taking the front until we get close to the gate, then I'll switch around before we exit, got it?" Levi says.

"Yeah." Mike nods and you follow Levi over to his horse.

With the dumbfounded gazes of everyone on you, Levi mounts the horse and offers you his hand. You take it--ignoring the fuzzy feeling--and climb on the back. You lock your arms around Levi's rock solid torso and resist the silly urge to see if he's ticklish because of the serious situation.

You and Levi ride to the front of the large group and you know every single one of them wants to ask why the hell you're riding with the captain when there are at least five horses still available. You make no reaction as Levi orders the Scouts to move forward, closer to the horror no amount of training could prepare anyone for.