Chapter XII: Flickers

After breezing through dragon care – where I wondered exactly why it still existed – Sky and I had our first Fighting Three class together. Sky hadn't actually taken part in this class, rarely staying to watch the class for more than a few minutes at a time. Nevertheless, our friends were helpful enough to explain what the class was exactly.

The class, we were helpfully informed, was about fighting. However, it focussed on fighting another dragon and rider pair. It was dangerous and both dragon and rider had to wear armour when participating. No one had their own armour, so we all had to use old armour that was used by anyone. After finding armour that fit me, which was a bit of a challenge, Sky and I were paired up with Thaos and Ryan.

I found that flying was a challenge. The extra weight caused my balance and reaction time to be off. Sky and I were easily defeated, but towards the end, we were getting better as we both adjusted to wearing armour.

* * *

The next class Sky and I had was on magic. This time the magic was about what dragons could do, what riders could do, and how it affected everything around them. Currently, Sky had told me, they had been working on battle magic and what could affect dragons compared to what couldn't.

Due to being magical creatures, dragons tended to be more resistant to magic than other creatures. However, we weren't immune. Eyes and wings were clear weak points and, depending on the dragon, the belly was as well. The nose was also a weak point and, surprisingly, joints in the leg were a weak point.

That class I learnt how I could use Sky's magic in human form. It wasn't easy and I struggled with it for the entire class. Sky said that was alright, though, as she found it difficult to do it too. We concluded that Sky probably had a small magic pool, which meant when we both used it, we struggled to not use it all up.

* * *

Sky frowned as she read over the scroll she had been given for our third class of the day. It was racing again, but this time it was different. I don't like this, Sky murmured.

What is it? I asked impatiently.

You have to fly blindfolded to a point, where we swap the blindfold over, and then make it back here.

Difficult, I said before thinking of an idea. I could use your eyes to look instead though, so it won't be terribly hard.

Except that I'm in a different position and you'll have to adjust to not being able to see everything, Sky replied.

I stretched my wings and neck. Well now is the time to figure out how to do it then.

Sky hummed in reply, quickly mounting and folding the scroll. She quickly showed me an image of the scroll, showing where we had to go. We can't leave yet, a teacher has to come around and use a spell to hide your sight. It makes it so no one can cheat or at least not easily.

I nodded my head and closed my eyes, reaching for Sky's mind. Sky welcomed me in with a whirl of emotions, before settling to the back of her mind and allowing me to take control. I blinked, feeling the – my – eyelids close and open. I opened my mind more, and Sky moved forward, filling the gaps between us with her own mind.

We moved our wings and saw the movement. We took a step forward and could feel the movement in different ways, and vaguely see the movement. We stepped forward again, this time moving our head to see the blue-scaled leg move.

We separated, losing the connection of being one and returning to a lonely body. I shook my head, opening my eyes to see with my vision once more. What do you think? I asked Sky.