Chapter 12

My breathing quickens as I open the door to reveal a crispy white kitchen. The smell of roasted chicken, candles and laundry hit my nostrils. Everything seems so normal. My train of thought is gone when I hear footsteps coming down the hallway to my right. I quickly dive into the kitchen and take a left, hiding in the pantry.

                "But Daddy, where could she have gone? What are you going to do?"

"Ariel! Be quiet. I don't know where she's at but she couldn't have gone far," I hear him sigh. "Come here."

I press my ear against the pantry door once again only to hear moans and hushed kisses. Ariel? Ariel from school? What the hell is going on!

Before I can pull myself back, my body collapses against the door and I fall through.

I look up, shaking, only to squeeze my face in puzzlement as I see Ariel  standing in front of me. With her hands down by her side, she looks at me with a blank face, like she knew I was already there. She walks towards me.

"Get the hell away from me you bitch." I growl.

She rolls her eyes but doesn't say anything.

Jason starts to make his way towards me. I rush to get up and look for a weapon, anything to split this asshole's head into two. I grab a broom that's leaning on a counter and start swinging.

"Rae. Honestly, a broom?"

My heartbeat thumps twice as fast as it should be but I still  swing the broom as hard as I can. I don't know if it hit him or not, but as soon as I feel vibrations from whatever I did hit, I belt out running for the closest door I can see. I grab the handle on the kitchen door and start sprinting towards no where.

"Help! H-" Suddenly things start to spin and I lose all functions in my body parts. I see small feet step in front of my face that is driven into the grass below me. A little girl no more than seven bends down to show her soft, big brown eyes, her pure olive skin, and long brunette hair. Her small pink lips part a little as she eyes me.

"She shot you with a temporary paralyzing syringe. I suggest you listen to whatever they say because you're not going anywhere soon. You can't move but you can definitely feel and see and hear," She gasps and turns her head.

"She's coming! I gotta go." Then I see the little feet run away behind the house that I've just ran out of. Replacing the little feet are bigger ones.

"Come on, Raven."

She slips her arms under my pits, dragging me back to the house.

She suddenly drops me when we land back into the kitchen, causing a great deal of pain to go straight through my back. The urge to just claw her face in is diminished when I remember I can't move. She kneels down beside me.

"Aiden is back."

Why is she telling me that?

"Dad!"

Jason eventually walks in. The Ice back wrapped around his forehead is confirmation that I did strike him earlier.

"Yes, baby?"

"Put her back in the basement, please. I'm done with her. "

As a thanks, he wraps his arms around her waist and places long kisses on her neck. She moans, but her face looks disgusted.

I push myself, trying to make myself get up, talk, scream or anything! But I'm stuck here, in my own atmosphere. My mind was the only control I had.

I feel my arms being lifted once again, dragged down the stairs back to the basement. Jason lays me on the wooden table and straps me back in.

"Look, be good and we wont hurt you as much. I love you Rae. A lot. I've loved you these past four years more than that Aiden boy. You'll learn to love me, I swear." He places a peck on my cheek, kissing away the tear drop from my eye.

"Dad!"

Jason observes me one more time with a fake look of sympathy in his eyes, and rushes back up the stairs.

I close my eyes and fall asleep to the sound of nothing. To the sound of defeat in my body, and to the ringing of emptiness in my head. So quiet yet so loud.

                     I wake up to me being drenched in ice cold water and to the sound of a piercing scream. My piercing scream.

"Hey."

I lift my now movable hands to my eyes. Rubbing my palms against them.

"So this is how it's going to go. I have to hurt you and you have to scream."

I eye Ariel as she moves around the table, her hands clasped together. She stops when she's right in front of the table and reaches behind her, taking out a cigarette and a lighter. She lights the cigarette and inhales. Exhales. Mom. Why hasn't she called the Police? Shouldn't they be looking for me by now, shouldn't I be hearing sirens every once in a while?

I contemplate my questions for a second and laugh to myself. Who am I kidding... Mom didn't give a damn when I was there, why would she give a damn when I'm not. I scream out in pain when a burning sensation hits me.

"Didn't you hear me Rae? I said what are you afraid of?"

I don't even hear what she's saying. All I hear is the ringing in my head, I feel the fire on my cheek, and the smell of burning flesh.

"You're going to hell."

"Probably."

I belt out the loudest scream of my life as I feel a large, sharp object dive itself into my left leg. I lay up, only to slam my head back down onto the wooden table. I eye Ariel as she grabs the knife, and twists it. My eyes red as  hell, my veins popping out, my knuckles sticking out due to the strength I'm using to tighten my fist, I finally give up the pain and bring myself to the stage of numbness. As darkness overtakes me, I swear I hear her whisper something to me.

"I'm sorry."