Chapter 17 - The Aftermath (Revised)

...

"I think one's feelings waste themselves in words; they ought all to be distilled into actions, which bring results." Florence Nightingale

...

CHAPTER 17

I was finally at home in bed with a sling on my wrist.

I was required to wear it for about three weeks. This was the first time in my entire life that I had ever broken something. It's annoying because people will now look at me and wonder what happened. I already know my friends at work will have a thousand questions for me. Questions that I'm not ready to provide answers to. 

"Have you called in for work tomorrow? Because I know you're not seriously considering showing up." Kennedy came into my bedroom with a bowl of spaghetti that she had cooked. It was noon, so it wasn't exactly spaghetti for breakfast, though this would be the first thing that I've eaten all day.

"Not yet," I sighed, sitting up in bed. "And I'm also not helpless, Ken. I can sit at my desk and do some work. I just have a fractured wrist; I didn't go blind or lose my hands."

"Yeah, but you can also sit on your bed and do some work too," she said. "That fall could've been worse than what it was. I really don't think you should go out and push yourself too hard."

After the fallout between Jon and Roman, Ken hasn't left my side. She was actually going to be staying with me for a few days while I was taking this little hiatus from work. I was glad. I didn't want to be alone. I still felt bad, though, because she's supposed to be spending this time with Frank. She never said how long he was going to be in town for.

Jon still hasn't come back home yet. I don't know where he is or what Roman's security did with him. He could be in jail, passed out on a street corner, or stranded in the middle of NYC confused and alone. Anything was possible. But... I'm not going to stress over him either. I refuse to. It's not like this is the first time that we had a fight and we separated.

He's a grown man and he can take care of himself. I still love him of course. Though I am slightly pissed at him, I don't hold any resentment towards him for what he did. He was drunk and full of emotions that he didn't know how to handle. Jon's never been physical with me in that manner before, so I know he wasn't in his right mind that night. Knowing him as well as I do, he's probably beating himself up over it right now. If he even remembers. I already forgive him, but I definitely won't forget what happened.

"Can you bring me the phone so that I can call Patricia?" I ask Ken. She nods. I smile and thank her when she comes back into the room with the phone. She took my bowl and asked if I wanted seconds, I declined.

I sighed heavily before dialing the number to Knight Enterprises.

It was nerve wrecking having to wait to be connected with Patricia's line. I wonder what she was up to anyway. I don't remember interacting with her much at the party. Did we even speak to one another? If we did, that memory hasn't come back to me yet.

"Knight Enterprises. This is Patricia Lenoir, how may I assist you?"

She sounded so cheerful that I would've actually paid to see the look on her face.

"Hi, Patricia. It's Natalia." I tried not to sound too damn depressing despite how shitty I felt.

"Oh, darling! How are you?" she asked, sounding genuinely concerned.

"I'm better. My wrist will be in a sling for three weeks, but my head is feeling much better," I replied, slowly remembering her being there when I fell.