Let me slap you (Chapter 33)

I strapped myself into Chase's car, placing my hands on the steering wheel.

"Alissa, hold up!" My brother shouted.

I rolled down the window impatiently. I had to check on Ryan. I had to make sure he was safe. I couldn't call him because my phone had finally died and Chase had given his over to a police officer as evidence to use against my dad. Jake had left his behind in the mad rush to get here. "What is it?"

"You can't just leave," he hissed.

"Why not?" I argued.

"For God sakes, Alissa. You were almost raped! You can't just leave the crime scene without talking to the police!" I watched his eyes turn a dark stormy blue. He shook his head slightly to get his long, light brown hair out of his eyes. He gave me a long look. "Get out of the car," he demanded.

"No," I refused. I had to check up on my boyfriend.

"Alissa," he looked not my eyes, determined.

"Chase," I mocked.

He sighed. "Fine. I should've known you wouldn't have listened to me," he spoke louder and and more clearly. "I'm coming with you."

I shook my head no.

"Alissa, if there's any chance dad did anything to Ryan, then I don't want you to go there alone. I know you love him, but it just isn't safe."

My jaw dropped and I blushed. How did he know?

Chase must have read my mind. He smiled. "I'm your brother Alissa. I know you." Chase continued, "Not to mention Ryan is my best friend so I want to make sure he's okay."

He called Jake over. Jake walked outside the building's front door and jogged over to our car, frowning at my lack of attire. "Are you going somewhere?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, I just enjoy sitting in the car with no pants on," I answered sarcastically.

He frowned at me.

"Yes, I'm going somewhere," I clarified.

"Chase?" Jake questioned Chase who was now sitting in the passenger seat.

Chase replied, "We're going to Ryan's house to make sure he's safe. Apparently my dad has been spying on Alissa and has seen you and Ryan. Since Ryan isn't picking up his phone, Alissa is worried. She wants to make sure he's safe."

"You can't just leave!" Jake exclaimed frantically. "This is practically a crime scene! You guys have to stay safe!"

"We'll be fine," I promised.

He stared into my eyes and I had to look away. It felt like he could see through me. Into my soul. "How do you know?"

I didn't answer.

He raised his voice. "HOW DO YOU KNOW?"

I screamed at him. "I just do, okay? I have to make sure Ryan is safe. Stay with cops in case they need you. I sent the recording to your phone too so you're involved. You have to stay safe. I'm always putting the people I love in danger. PLEASE do me a favor and stay safe."

He sighed, frustrated. I heard grumbled, "Fine, but if I get in trouble for this you're bailing me out of jail," he continued wearily.

I grinned. "Oh and Jake," I beckoned him to squat down to my level, where the window was.

"What?" he muttered.

I motioned for him to come closer.

Then I kissed his cheek. "Thank you," I whispered into his ear.