Chapter 25

Christine 

Renee Flemming is my third favorite opera singer.

That's saying a lot, considering how many I love,( Probably in the 1000s). I sifted through each of my favorite singers until I found an order that was golden.

1.)Maria Callas(Because, duh!)

2.)Luciano Pavarotti( The name says it all. King of Opera with Callas as Queen.)

3.)Renee Flemming(Caaaaastaaaa Diiivvvaaaa)

4.)Anna Netrebko( A voice richer than gold)

5.)Domingo Plácido( How could I forget?)

6.)Andrea Bocelli(Blind, yet impossibly beautiful tenor? Yes, please.)

7.)Montserrat Caballe(Dem vocal chords)

8.)Diana Damrau (Most amazing Queen of the Night performance ever.)

9.)Rolando Villazón(Played Rolfodo in the first opera I ever saw: La Boheme.)

10.)José Carreras( Why not?)

The most solid thing I have ever created in my life. One-hundred percent foolproof. 

Or so I thought.

I should rewind.

3 hour previous to my perfect list being royally fucked up.

 "You are my only student that I have ever bothered to give lessons to and you have proven yourself far beyond my expectations. And your voice is more beautiful than any of the angels in Heaven." Erik said, looking straight into my eyes.

Nobody had ever praised me so highly before. Never without laughing or making a joke afterward. But Erik was dead serious, looking deep into my eyes as if he were searching for something. I felt a strange, new, sensation tingle through me. I didn't know what it was, but it rendered me speechless. I felt myself blush, and could unable form two simple words in my mouth for what felt like a full minute. All I could do was stare at Erik, completely lost.

Finally, I managed to sputter out Thank You, attempting to smile to ease the awkward tension.

He nodded, and he squeezed my hand gently, causing my a flutter of excitement in me.

 "Now, Renee Flemming and Mark Showalter are waiting for us." He said, a happy quality to his voice. 

I nodded, allowing him to lead me backstage while I tried to cope with this unfamiliar feeling. I wanted to stare into his eyes again, absorb his mesmerizing personality. His snarky comments were often times obnoxious but when he made a kind one, he meant it. Erik felt like a puzzle, an enigma. I wanted to solve him.

I gasped as we stepped backstage, my eyes wide in astonishment. Erik seemed unimpressed, "What is it, Christine?"

I glared at his bored tone, "It's absolutely amazing back here."

He shrugged, "It could be better, the acoustics have been better had the used acoustic panels on the ceilings."

I stuck out my tongue,  "You're so picky!" 

"I have high standards."

I laughed, gazing around the roomy area when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and saw vaguely familiar faces. It was a blonde woman and her husband and when they saw my face, they lit up. 

"Oh, it is the waitress!"

I furrowed my eyebrows,trying to guess who it was when a voice I definitely remembered called to me, "Nice lady!"