Chapter 47. Sigh No More*

Chapter 47. Sigh No More by Mumford and Sons

Tourneau drove silently as I tried to staunch the flow of blood from my side. I had been wounded in battle many times in the past, but I had been well fed and not already depleted. March was giving us an early spring and I knew it would have brought a group of undesirable miscreants out to cause trouble in the city as they enjoyed the warmer weather.

"Tourneau, let's go downtown and find someone I can get blood from. Undoubtedly I will be able to find someone that is suitable," I said between clenched teeth. "Hawk and Xavier need to feed, too."

At first, Tourneau held out his wrist to me. He said, "Here, take some from me, I'm not leaking like you are."

"You need to keep your strength so we can fight at the house," I said as I pushed his arm away.

"What does it matter anyway? Who cares if I am lost? You need strength, so take it," he said as he forced his wrist against my mouth.

Angry now, I held his arm away from me, and said, "You aren't allowed to have a death wish, Jean. I care and Evan and Nathan care. Quit sulking and focus. You can take time once we are all safe to mourn the loss of that idiot!"

Tourneau yanked his arm from my grip, a fierce grimace on his smooth face. "I know it does not make sense to you, but I have lost twice now. I was devastated by Rafael's treason, and I felt his betrayal deeply, but now he is dead and the loss is fresh. I know in my head what he did was wrong, and I am livid, but my heart needs to catch up to my brain."

I could tell this revelation was difficult for him, but was glad he had gotten it out in the open. Apologetically, I told him, "I'm sorry for being inconsiderate, we all have suffered loss. Please just find us a place to feed."

Tourneau turned into a rundown neighborhood well known to be full of drug dealers and prostitutes, gang members and addicts. It did not take long for us to come across a group of young men dressed in gang colors harassing a young black woman and her tiny son. They kept prodding her and pushing her into the side of a building as she tried to ignore them and keep walking, all the while protecting her son.

"Pull over here," I said lowly. I knew I had at least enough strength to take these humans on, but didn't want any more holes in my body. With this type of tough youth, they always had to back their false power with weapons. Tourneau pulled up alongside the group and paced them with the Hummer, rolling slowly beside the young men. When they stopped and turned their attention to us, he stopped the vehicle.

I looked over the back of the seat to Xavier and Hannah. "It looks like there is one each. Who is coming with me?"

"I'm in," Xavier said.

"Me too," Hannah said. "What are we going to do?"

"We're going to allow the young woman and her son to get away while we irritate these thugs, then we will each take one. Tourneau, I need you to get one for Hawk. He desperately needs blood, but can't hunt yet. Xavier, you sure you're up to this?"

"I'm still good enough to take down a simple human, Emil. I'm offended you would think me capable of such weakness," he answered, trying to sound superior, but failing as he chuckled.

"Let's go," I said, opening my door and stepping out to face the group of young men posturing and throwing insults at us, turning their attention away from the young woman. The other three joined me on the sidewalk, facing them. It was apparent from their surprised faces that we were a shocking sight, covered in blood and gore. It took seconds for them to resume throwing insults at us as they put on their bravado, in order to save face with each other.