Redemption, Chapter 10

Enjoy!

_________________________________

She thought it would be awkward, figured he wouldn't want to talk about the amazing kiss they shared so she kept her hands to herself during the ride home. Didn't mention anything or ask any questions. 

She said her goodnights when they walked into their hotel suite, fought the urge to give him a hug or something. Maybe he would stop her before she walked through her door? She slowly reached for her door handle and cast a glance back to see he was already in his room. 

Don't cry Kate, he obviously wasn't ready for the kiss, hopefully he won't be to mad at her. 

She strips her dress off and puts on some comfy sport shorts and a long sleeve night shirt. She's too tired to take her makeup off tonight, she'll get it in the morning. Kate puts her hair in a messy braid so she can still have her curls in the morning and brushes her teeth. 

She slips in her bed, ready to get some rest but the knock on her door interrupts her.

 "Kate? Can I come in?" 

Since when had he ever asked for permission? She slowly sits up and slurs, "Come in." Her husband appears before her, gently sits down on the side of the bed next to her. She takes a silent gulp and prays he isn't here to yell at her even though he looks just as tired as she is. 

Castle reaches for her limp hand with his good hand, and cups it with his, gently strokes her tender fingers and feels the pair of rings she refused to take off even when he told them they were done. 

He had taken his ring off, had slipped it on a chain and worn it on his neck. Now he was re-thinking it, but if he slipped the ring back on it would make it seem like they were official again and as much as he wanted to be he just wasn't ready.

 Eventually he finds his voice, "I'm sorry I made it seem like I was mad at you for earlier, I was just, I don't know..shocked?" he mumbles, still stroking her fingers. 

Kate shakes her head, wants to reach for his other hand but remembers it's injured, so she places her other hand on their already joined hands. "No babe, it's my fault, I let my own want get the best of me; I knew you weren't ready and I'm sorry." 

She takes a deep breath, looks into his blue eyes that are no longer drowning in pain. Her husband takes his hand out of their joined embrace and gently strokes her cheek, she can't help but lean into the touch. 

Was he trying to entice her!? 

"I'm not mad about that honest, I think I can handle a few kisses." He winks at her with a flirtatious smile. 

Kate lets out a chuckle, buries her head in his chest. "I just didn't want you to think I was telling you I was ready to dive back in..I want to Kate, I want to get rid of the hurt and the pain. I've forgiven you, I just need a bit more time." 

he doesn't want to hurt her, can't on purposely want to hurt her as she hurt him anymore but he needs her to know. He feels his wife nod with her head buried in his chest, knows she's crying. She sniffles, slowly brings her head up to look at him.

 "I understand, and I promise I'm willing to wait." 

She runs her hand across his cheek this time, brings it to his ear and rubs the tender spot. He gives her a gentle smile, squeezes her hand once more before sliding off the bed and standing on his feet.