Chapter 13

“So she can hear me but she can’t respond?” Tim asked Nathan.

For almost a week I was still in the same condition. Everyone who comes in I can hear but only Nathan could listen to me which was really weird for me especially when the memories was still fresh in my mind. He was doing a pretty good job at being my listener though. Sometimes we’d pull a prank on people by saying I couldn’t hear them. It was hilarious when Nathans best friend visited me. He was telling him (or reminding) all the weird and funny things he had done. But the last part of the conversation really stung.

“You’ve been here for a week what’s the deal bro?” his best friend Tim asked him. I could feel his nervousness about the question. He still didn’t want to tell him I was his mate. He doesn’t know about me. Only the wolves we were training knows about the secret, my secret, and so are the higher official.

(Our pack was a neighbor of his pack. The land around both our packs was one, as I was been told, when our ancestors was still around. It was too big to handle so they divided it into two.)

Tell him what my father has told you I said trying to back him up even though my wolf was telling me not to and pushing his wolf to say we were mates. But sadly his response was “His father told me to look after her, so here I am”

“Really? Well then, your mate’s waiting for you outside, let me take care of her while you go out and be all lovey dovey.” He joked.

Ouch

He blocked me out. I couldn’t talk to anyone anymore and my wolf was shouting ‘it is us’ again and again.

‘Shut up, we’re rejected remember? Can’t you put it in your head that we are mate less’ I said not in a harsh tone to avoid conflicts from my own wolf. She just whimpered.

My heart felt like exploding. What’s with me? Why can’t I just feel nothing whenever they hang it in my face that I am forever alone?

But I was already starting to accept it. My wolf was starting to accept it. That’s why my back was slowly healing, because she lost a part of her.

The pain in my back was coming back. Slowly, then like a tsunami it crashed over me as I woke up with another scream. Tim jolted away from his phone and came by my side. He looked at my pained face before leaving, looking for the doctor who came rushing inside after a minute.

“Where’s Nathan?” she asked panicking at Tim who looked back at her mirroring her reaction.

“He’s with his mate” he said defensively. The doctor looked at him shocked before looking back at me who was still crouching in pain.

She sighed before leaving urgently and coming back with the same speed.

“Tim will you please hold her back” she motioned her head at me.

“Nathalie lay with you back facing us.” She said removing all the panic in her voice replacing it with seriousness.

I tried my best to lay on my front but moving was forbidden by my back. Tim had to help me before pinning my arms on the top of my head. I was struggling at the intensity of the pain. I wanted to let the pain out. I was scratching, screaming and kicking all at the same time as the doctor planted a medicine on my back.

I don’t know who came in but that person held both my foot in place. And all at the same time my senses started to drift away, I thought as I stopped hearing my agonizing screams and everything went in slow motion.

After a painful day. The doctor told me that the wound was starting to heal because of the medicine she had to get from out of town. I only have to spend a day or two before I can finally go out of the pack hospital. So here I am starting to lay on my back with Zach reading a book beside me and Ron sitting on my bed letting me watch him play on their laptop.

We snapped our heads at the ‘couple’ who was standing at the door. His hands snaked around her waist as her hand in his. She was carrying a basket full of fruits.

“How are you doing?” The girl asked me as she brought the fruit down the table. Zach closed his book before facing me fully.

“She’s fine” he answered for me.

“Good” Nathan said as they both sat down in the couch.

The girl looked around before her eyes stopped at us. She clapped her hands excitedly “You guys look like a perfect family!” she giggled. “Hey Nate” she said in –I assume is- a seductive voice. She trailed her hands up and down the stiff guy. “I also want that kind of family” at that, his eyes snapped at us. He looked like he was fighting to control his wolf.

Ron laughed “I wish she was my sister but they both said they weren’t dating.” He pouted and glared at us. He doesn’t know a single thing of what is happening here.

My wolf was howling trying to go to Nathan who was obviously getting mad.

“Aww, why is that? You both looked like a perfect couple” she said with a smug face.

“She’s my ultimate best friend” Zach said faking a smile at her.

She made a tsk tsk sound “I’ve heard that story, you know? But they still end up together” she purred at Nathan.

“Um, thank you for the fruits” I said changing the subject. His eyes finally soften as he looked at me which I avoided

“You said it was your favorite” he said smiling. Right, I told him that when he was the one left taking care of me. Apparently, dad brought them while I was fast asleep.

“Uh, yeah” I said in above a whisper “Thanks”

Zach stood up before grabbing an apple and washing it. He peeled the skin off before cutting it into pieces. He sat down again before putting a piece in my mouth. I smiled at him as a thanks before continuing to chew. My hands were wounded because of my nails so they were out of the choices for now.

“Ron can do it you know” Nathan said trying to make it sound like it was nothing.

“He’ll just play with me” I glared at the little boy who was trying to contain his laughter.