t w o

|Two|

|Two|

  ⑉ 

Even though Raphael had approved of my outfit, it didn't exactly occur to me how cold it would be on the other side of the portal. Temperatures down in the Underworld compared to the Light Paradox had dropped dramatically. I could feel the little bumps on my skin, reacting to the sharp decrease in warmth run along my bear arms and legs.

It was also far too dark. I didn't like the environment I was introducing myself too. Where the descending steps began, I could not make out.

What happens if I fall?

I paused for a brief moment to fully acknowledge what I was about to do - which is descend into the Underworld.

Man, I think after the thought had been made present in my mind. That's a sentence I never thought I would think.

After my minor what-on-earth-am-i-doing moment, I flutter my hand out in search of the railing that will aid my trip down. Sourcing the oily brass object in the darkness only caused my heart to drive itself into a frenzy.

It was almost made official when I gripped the railing. I tried to control my breathing, but it was to no avail – I was terrified. Let's rephrase, I was bloody petrified.

The Underworld is the one place, nobody wanted to visit. Because nobody wants to find themselves in the company of the Devil, at least - nobody sane.

As more time ticked past, the inevitable dawns on me. The portal between the Light Paradox and the Underworld had shut and I, being the noob I was, forgot to ask Raphael how to get back up to the Dome.

Common sense Charmeine - where is it?

Probably the same place where my missing memories are.

I was standing, shoulders dropped, alone in the dark. And it was now, at the height of my paranoia that a worrying thought dawned on me. And that was how no one was ever really all alone in the dark, were they?

Tightly gripping the thin scrap of cardstock in my left hand, I lifted my foot to take the first step. I was hesitant with my movements and felt like an idiot for the way I was moving.

I didn't want to bump into anyone now, did I?

The concept of my life-threatening destiny was a thought my mind refused to let of. It was shackled to my obscure thoughts, unable to be forgotten. Why did the Fates choose me to go on this awful mission? Hadn't they realised yet that one is unable to shove the Devil into a boxing ring and expect him not to win?