Chapter 34

Adam sat by the hospital bed while his mother had gone out. It had been a long morning, but he wanted to be with his father.

"So you found your wife?" Jonathan Hargrove asked, his eyes closed.

"Yes." Adam smiled. "Everything's going to go back to normal soon."

"Why hasn't she come by?"

Adam turned his head to stare at the heart monitor. "She will."

"When?"

"Does it matter? It's not as if you can have too many guests right now."

"She's my daughter-in-law. I want to see for myself that she's okay," Adam's father said. "Bring her here."

"Dad, now isn't the time to be thinking about Calista. You just woke up. You need to work on getting better."

"No, I need to see her. I need to...to apologize."

"Apologize?" Adam frowned. "Why would you need to apologize?"

His father opened his eyes. "It's all my fault."

"What is?"

"But I didn't have a choice. They're going to kill me now. Now that I'm awake, it's only a matter of time. I have to explain."

Adam grabbed his father's hand. "What are you trying to say, Dad? Did you have--"

"I need to get forgiveness."

"Don't. Don't tell me you had something to do with what happened to her. No, that's impossible. You wouldn't have. You and Calista got along so well," Adam was muttering to himself. "Dad, what's going on."

"You have to bring her," his father's breath was becoming ragged.

"I can't. I can't bring her," Adam insisted.

The beeping from the heart monitor was quickening.

"I need to apologize. It was greed. Now that she's alive, they'll come any minute. I know it."

"Who will come?"

"The people who want her dead. No one can save her. No one can save me. We're living ghosts right now. Living ghosts."

"Dad--"

Adam stood up, watching in horror as his father's breathing became more difficult. He pressed the button for the nurse, wondering who exactly wanted his wife dead and why.

They were alone in the dining room and Calista still couldn't bring herself to make eye contact with Sebastian after running out of his room, his laughter following her down the hall

It wasn't as if she could continue like this. They had to discuss what happened whether she liked it or not. She cleared her throat. "This is uncomfortable but I can't ignore it. We need to talk about the giant elephant in the room."