Tasting The Rainbow {23}

***Adam’s POV***

                I left Zelly’s house and went home to eat dinner. “Hey little sister. Congrats. You got an STD infected asshole for a boyfriend,” I grumbled as I went inside the house. She pouted at me. “I’m happy, Adam! Don’t ruin it!” she whined and came over to me.

                We hugged and I gave a very, very slight smile at her. “Good for you, kid.” We went into the kitchen together and sat down at the dinner table. Mom set some food down. We rarely ate together, but I guess tonight was one of those “special” nights.

                “So now you two are both in a relationship? And your boyfriends are best friends?” mom asked and we nodded. “Oh boy,” she said, shaking her head. I absentmindedly pushed the peas on my plate back and forth with my fork, not feeling hungry at all.

                “Adam! Don’t play with your food,” mom said, rolling her eyes at me. I shrugged and got up. I put my dish in the sink before going into the living room and putting on my iPod as I laid on the couch. I blasted Stay Together For The Kids. I hated Blink, but I loved this song. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly.

                “If this is what he wants and this is what she wants, than why’s there so much pain?”

                Someone shook me gently and I sat up and opened my eyes before turning to face my mom. “What?” I asked coldly as the song shifted to Crazy by Simple Plan. She bit her lip nervously. “Adam, please don’t freak out,” she said quietly. “What did you do?” I demanded angrily.

                “Adam…I think your father and I are going to get a divorce,” she said silently. I froze and pain erupted in my chest.

                “Parents act like enemies, making kids feel like it’s World War 3.”

                “No…mom…NO!” I exploded. “NO!” “Adam, please! It’s just not working out!” she said desperately. “Please just calm down!” “It’s not working because you’re not talking to each other!” I cried angrily, my thoughts flashing to what Zelly had said the other day.

                “Adam…” “NO! FUCK YOU!” I screamed and jumped up. I slammed by her and up to my bedroom. I slammed and locked my door. I grabbed a sharpie and a piece of paper.

                Broken homes = broken kids. If you won’t try, neither will I. Fuck you; I’m never coming back.

                I grabbed a bag out of my closet and shoved some clothes in there. I grabbed my wallet and stuffed it in my pocket along with my cell phone and my iPod. I shoved my window open and tossed the bag out. It landed in the bushes below and I went over to my bedroom door. I unlocked it and set the note on my bed before walking over to my window.

                I crawled out and made my way down. I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder. They would go to my friends’ houses first. That meant I couldn’t go to Zelly, Kobi, or Skye. I didn’t want to go with my dad.

                My throat closed up as I began to hurry down the street. I wanted to go Zelly’s house so, so bad right now. But if I went there, they would find me and drag me back to that broken home. I didn’t want to be there. I didn’t want to be in that house unless both of my parents were there.

                I made my way to the park and sat down behind a tree, trying to clear my head and think of a place to stay for the night. Just until I could come up with a good place to stay. I should’ve just taken the car.

                “Shit,” I grumbled and pulled out my phone. I turned it off and instantly regretted not leaving it at home. I mentally sighed and got up. I walked to Kobi’s house and put my phone in his mailbox, grateful for the darkness that was quickly falling.

                I thought hard before deciding that I could just hide out grandma’s shed. They wouldn’t find me in there. No one ever went in there anymore.

                So I crept to my grandma’s house and felt my throat closing up again as I saw my dad through the window. He was sitting in the living room talking to my grandma, a miserable look on his face. God dammit. There shouldn’t be misery on his face. He should be home with my mom, sister, and I. A family.

                I crept around to the back yard and crawled into the shed. I turned on the lantern in there and sat in the corner. There were spiders in here, but they didn’t bother me. Most were dead, anyways. I shifted behind a shelf just in case someone walked in. They wouldn’t see me.

                I put on my iPod and listened to Josie Wail’s “Ruins”. I squeezed my eyes shut, desperately wishing I was with Zelly right now. Would he miss me when he found out I had run away? Would he look for me? He wouldn’t find me. I couldn’t let him. I didn’t want to go back to that broken home. I just couldn’t do it anymore.

                I sighed, wishing I was high. I hated drugs, but god dammit, I needed something that would numb me and clear my head. I buried my head in my hands and tried to distract myself, trying desperately to get lost in the music. I wasn’t a drug addict. I didn’t need to turn to that shit to feel better. I needed to stop thinking like that.

                I dug my nails into the skin of my arms and bit my lip until I felt it bleed. I just wanted to be with someone right now. But if I was found, I would get dragged back, and I didn’t want that. Zelly…