Chapter 21

The entire way back to Brendon's house was a bit of an anxiety induced trip. I thought back to what Sarah had done when I told her what Brendon did to himself. She seemed off putting. There was something different about her attitude than in previous conversations we've had. Then again, we never really talked for a long period of time. It was usually the normal hello or Hey how you doing? And then our conversation would be over. But she was always so nice and cheery, whether or not she hated me.

And then I thought about Brendon and what he had done to himself. He did that because of her. What if I just let him be to fix himself? What if I never went to talk to Sarah? How would things be then? A small part of me wished that I didn't.

Once I get back to Brendon's house, I felt good with myself. I was doing something for the better, whether or not it pained my heart. As long as he can get a second chance with someone he loves, thats all that matters. I don't want him to lose something this special to him, like I though I did when I tried to nice on with Jack.

Walking back into the house, I went straight into the living room where I left Brendon and Ryan.

Ryan was reclining in a chair in the corner, on his phone. Not even realizing that I walked into the room. And Brendon...Brendon wasn't in the room. His bucket full of I don't want to know what from his stomach, was still there. But he physically wasn't. And this concerned me. Even more so that Ryan didn't seem to care.

Clearing my throat, I finally manage to get Ryan's attention. "Where's Brendon?" I point over to the couch. "He's not on the couch anymore."

"That he is not." Ryan looks over at the couch where Brendon once was, and back at me. He shrugged his shoulders and looked back down at his phone.

"Do you know where he went?" I asked, a little bitter.

"Nope." He didn't even look up this time. At this point, Ryan was beginning to get on my nerves. He didnt care. Not at all. What if Brendon was hiding somewhere in the house and he was dead?

"Ryan, I told you to watch him!" I drop my keys onto the ground with annoyance.

"Whoops." He replies. There wasn't any sympathy. There wasn't any sort of concern in his voice.

"Whoops? What the fuck do you mean, whoops?!" Though he's still not looking up at me, I give him a glare. "I dont care if you and Brendon aren't friends, but this is just an asshole thing to do, Ryan."

Now I have to play scavenger hunt to find Brendon. I mean, he couldn't have gone very far, he could barely walk earlier. But I've been gone for awhile. So honestly, he could be anywhere in the house.

Well, he obviously wasn't in the living room, unless he was playing a really good game of hide and seek and was behind the couch. Of which was probably about five inches away from the wall.

My first thought was that he might be in the kitchen, maybe to get some water? But just my luck, Brendon wasn't in there either. If course he wasn't. Why would he be?

My next stop was upstairs, even though I doubted he made it up that far. But maybe he has just enough energy to want to lay in his own bed instead of the couch.

"Check the bathroom." Ryan's voice cuts through the air from the other room. The bathroom was down a small hallway next to the living room. And that would make a lot more sense to check instead of upstairs. But I didn't want Ryan to think I was listening to him on where to go, because I'm stubborn.

"That was my next guess." The words fell out of my mouth, still bitter towards him.

I make my way down the hallway, trying not to let Ryan see my frustration with him. He wasn't looking at me anyway, so there wasn't really any point.

I could see light coming through the slightly ajar bathroom door. There wasn't any sound coming from inside, but that didn't stop me from approaching.

"Brendon?" I awaited a reply, but there wasn't anything. Taking the next step was opening the door to peer inside. But when I did so, there was a groan from somewhere inside. Found him. "Brendon, you alright?" I stepped into the room, finding him sitting on the floor with his back to the wall. His head was hanging down his shoulders, but snapped up as soon as he heard me in the room.

"Yeah." He replied. "I came up here because I wanted to lay down on my bed, but I felt the need to empty my stomach one last time. But nothing happened. And I just kinda continued to sit here." He looked away from me for a moment, but back to me after I didnt say anything back to him. I didn't know what to say. One of my closest friends tried to drown himself in alcohol, and probably has some form of alcohol poisoning. I want to be straight forward with him, but at the same time, he's still not over it and I'm never good when it comes to consulting people.

"Well, why don't I help you into your room then?" I break the silence that had formed between us. All he did in return was nod his head and extend his hand out towards me. I grabbed it in mine, and used my other hand to grab his forearm. As I pulled him to his feet, he tried his best to help push himself off the ground. But soon enough he was standing and walking almost normal again.

"Thank you, Hannah." He says once he's able to sit on his bed. "Not only for helping me just now... But for sticking around throughout all of this." He looks up at me and the corners of his mouth turn up in a smile.

"No need to thank me." I sit down beside him on the bed. "But I do have something to tell you."

"What is it?" I sparked his attention. And I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination when he adjusted himself to turn towards me, or if he moved himself closer. I'm gonna go with the first option.

"So I had gone to see Sarah." I didn't know which other way to go about this, so this was my best attempt. Though I don't think Brendon liked it. His eyebrows raised, and his eyes widened slightly.

"You actually talked to her?" He looked away, his voice was barely a whisper.

"Not without some convincing." I replied. His head was still turned away from me. "But I told her what you went through these two weeks, and she agreed to talk to you about things in a few days if you were up for it."

"Really?" He turned back towards me. "I didnt think she would. She's very persistent when she makes up her mind."

"Well that's all I wanted to say. So... get some rest okay?" I asked him. And he nodded again in response. But before I could get up to leave, he pulled me into a hug. A long tight hug.

After a few moments, he whispered a "Thank you" in my ear.