Progress

Sorry don't think this is my best haven't had much time to update and I've lost the thread a bit. But here goes, thank you for all your lovely comments and anybody who's still reading this after so long. Xx

"Grace what are you doing" Connie asked as she hovered in the hallway, "I'm going to see Olivia. We need time to talk" she finished packing the baby bag and placing Emma into the carry cot.
"You'll.." she hesitated "ill what mum?" She asked as she finished her task.
"You'll be back" she whispered the fear etched across her face.
"Yes mum. I will" she finished irritated.

Connie sat looking at the clock, Grace had been gone for four hours. She's only taken enough for one bottle, she'd be getting hungry now. She hoped she was warm enough Grace hadn't taken her thick coat, she paced the kitchen agitated. It was awful she was her child but she doubted her daughters ability to care for her properly.
"Connie relax" Jacob snugged into her from behind nuzzling her neck, "I can't" she said through gritted teeth.
"Ring her then" he suggested.
"Then she'll know I'm worried..think I don't trust her" she replied simply.
"But you don't!" He said boldly.
"Yes but her knowing that won't help us will it" she snapped. Immediately turning to face him, "sorry it's just nobody except us and Charlie has ever looked after her. It makes me nervous, and I'm scared honestly she might just do a flit. What's to stop her. She's her daughter she's not doing anything wrong and well I would have no power to stop her" she sighed the tears brimming in her eyes.

"Con..." he said softly but was cut off from the door opening and Grace traipsing in and placing Emma on the island. Jacob Feeling her instantly relax and pull from his grip towards them both.
"Hello my sweetheart" she cooed. "Were you a good girl for your mummy" she smiled down at Emma, as Grace looked at her mother smiling "yes she was" she said cheerfully "we've had a lovely morning".
Connie forced a smile as she lifted her out and held her to her chest, it hadn't been exactly what she meant and the sad smile Jacob shared with her made her sure he hadn't missed the double meaning either.

"Morning" Connie smiled as Grace and Emma were perched around the kitchen island.
"Is it" she groaned as she held her daughter tight.
"Let me take her, you must have been up half the night" Connie smiled kindly and Grace handed her over, "thanks, Olivia is still alseep I didn't want to wake her" she said weakly.
"Jacob too, it's ok for some" she smirked flicking the kettle on and turning to face her daughter.
"I didn't realize she was such hard work at night" Grace said tiredly.
"You get used to it" Connie smiled as she rocked the infant.
"Will you let me get used to it?" Grace asked staring at her mother intensely.
"Grace" she sighed moving to sit beside her " I have nothing against you being a mother sweetheart, I just worry for you and Emma. You've never had a baby before its hard work I remember and she's definately reminded me.
You left her so forgive me if I'm hesitant to let you just swan off to America hundreds of miles away, where I can't help support you or see my granddaughter.
Do you not see how rash this would be, how unfair on everybody? and the thought of you hundreds of miles away Grace I'll miss you. I love you I want you here- selfish I know, but forgive me for wanting my daughter and granddaughter near by. We have had our hardships this year and I know I'm not innocent in all that, but I don't want that to ruin our relationship. If you leave it will never be the same we're never have the chance to mend bridges. I love you Grace and I know your angry and hurting and I don't blame you but I am too, i just want more than anything to be a family" she sighed.
She gazed down at her Granddaughter who was asleep, "you really love her don't you" Grace sighed moving closer to her mum as she gazed at her peaceful daughter, in her mums arms.
Connie felt the lump in her throats and forced a sincere nod, taking a breathe, "yes and you" she said shakily holding back the tears that threatened.
"And Jacob!" Grace questioned.
"Yes and very much Jacob" Connie couldn't help the smile flicker across her face at the mention of his name, which grace noticed but decided to skip over.
"She loves you too she's so comfortable with you, honestly I'm jealous, I know it's my fault she doesn't know me. But I can't help feel that everything I do I'm always in your shadow..." she said honestly, her gaze shifting uncomfortably.

"Grace I'm sorry you feel like that, you shouldn't you know better than most I'm calm in control on the surface but underneath I'm struggling too.
I'm just as scared and unsure as you I just don't let people know that, it's not in me to let people in. You said it yourself before Jacob I've jumped from one meaningless relationship to the next. But it's different now, I'm changing  I want to change. I've realized work is not my life you Jacob and Emma are.
I went about this all wrong, and I never wanted to make you feel like you weren't enough because you are. But I'm begging you Grace don't become me, don't shut the people who care about you out. If you move all this way away, we'll become strangers I couldn't stand that. I grew up without being close to my parents and it's hard and I regret it. I didn't make up with my dad until I had no time left and everyday I wonder what if. What if it had been different if I'd had the support, I don't want the same regrets with you" the tears slipped down her cheeks.

"I love you mum" Grace confessed.
"I love you too sweetheart" Connie wrapped her arms around her daughter tightly.
They held each other for a while Connie wiped her daughters tears as she smiled at one another. It was definatey progress Connie thought happily.

"Morning" Jacob said tentively from the kitchen doorway.
"Morning" Grace and Connie said in unison making them both giggle.
Olivia joined them and sat down next to Grace, "morning".
"Morning" Grace smiled.
They ate breakfast pleasantly together, it was nice Connie couldn't help smile as she washed up the plates.
"You must be in a good mood, doing the washing up" Jacob smirked wrapping his arms around her waist playfully.
"Hmm I might be" she grinned. His arms snaking tighter around her waist, "stop distracting me" she laughed.
"I'm doing no such thing" he grinned.
"Are too" she splashed the bubbles at him she giggled at his pouting face, as he wiped the bubbles on her top.
Watching her scowl as she inspected her shirt, "I'm nearly done, if you leave me to it" she grinned.
"Good it must be bed time soon" he winked causing her to laugh harder leaning into this back as he claimed her lips briefly.
"Oh only 11 hours and counting" she smirked as he groaned squeezing her bottom and moving back slightly.

"They really are made for each other" Olivia smiled nodding over to the two of them smiling, causing Grace to look up.
"I know you were hurting but you have to admit, they look so happy. They fit together!" Olivia concluded happily.

Grace watched them for a while, she had to admit she'd never seen her mum so happy. She was right she had changed she was different because of him. If she was truthful to herself it had been more jealousy than anything else, it had always seemed everything fell in mums her lap. But prehaps she'd seen it through rose tinted glasses looking back at her childhood she wasn't so sure anymore.
Olivia spoke as they both watched the happy couple play fight over the washing up. "She loves you Grace and Emma and Jacob makes her happy, doesn't she deserve that. She's done nothing but beg you to stay no matter how hard you've made it.
I'm not saying you've been totally out of order I'd be mad too, I'd have made them squirm too. But still she loves you like a mother should, she wants you here. She loves and cares for Emma, really all she's done wrong is fall in love and as you know that isn't always something you can help".

Grace raised her eyebrow, "were were not the same".
"No prehaps not, but I wasn't exactly single when we got together and you were straight. And now look 3 weeks and we're here. We've moved so fast it's been a whirlwind but somehow it's just happened because it feels right. We love each other even if other people don't approve".

"I love you Olivia, your the best thing that's happened to me other than Emma in a long time. But ..." she hesitated your right ... you know I can't go back with you!" she whispered looking down at her daughter and back to her mother before turning to face her partner.
"I need them, Emma needs them and I believe my mum needs us too" she said a little sadly.

Olivia nodded sadly, "as much as I don't want us to end. Watching you all I think your right, you need them and so does this beautiful princess" she smiled stroking Emma's her cheek.
The sat silent for a moment, " but you could stay too" Grace turned to look at hopefully.
The silence filled the room painfully, before a bright smile flickered across her face as she stared at Grace.
"I could" she grinned.