Chapter 15

Chapter 15

       I only had one class with Mae in university since we were majoring in different things. The only class we shared was one that was required for all university students, so we decided to take it together.

       The professor gave us a fifteen minute break halfway through class, so Mae and I decided to get some coffee because we were starting to fall asleep in class. On the way to the cafeteria, I kept my arm wrapped around her shoulder and she wrapped hers around my waist.

       While we were walking there, Mae smiled up at me. "You know what I love?" she asked.

       "Me?"

       "No," she said. "Well, yes, of course, but I was talking about how I love....coffee. It keeps me awake at night when I really need to study and do my homework."

       "I can keep you awake at night, if you know what I mean."

       "Ryder!" Mae said, punching my shoulder. "Don't say that!"

       I just smiled at her. "Come on, I know you want to get down and di--"

       "Okay, if you want to talk like that, please don't do it while we're still in the school," she said. "Where there are a lot of eavesdroppers."

       "Aww, but I thought you'd want people to know that I'm taken."

       "Ryder, I am passed my jealousy stage," Mae said. "I no longer have anything to worry about because in eight months, we will be married."

       "So if someone, hypothetically, asked me out...."

       Mae stopped walking. "Wait, what? Who? Do I know her? Is she in any of my classes? If I were to borrow Jerome's shovel...."

       I laughed and grabbed Mae's hands, holding it tightly. "Mae, I'm kidding. And now I see that the jealousy stage is still inside of you."

       Mae frowned. "Not funny."

       "It was kind of funny," I said, putting my arm back around her. "I still love you."

       "And I....really like you, too," she said.

       "Ouch. I am wounded. I think I'm dying."

       "Sure you are," she said, trying to continue walking, but I stayed where I was. She sighed and turned towards me. "What is it?"

       "I'm dying. And....the only way I can live....is with a kiss of my true love....Bacon."

       "Ha ha," she said. She went on her tiptoes and pressed her lips on mine. "I still love yo

       "I love you too," I said. "Now let's go finally get the coffee before the break is over."

       After we got our coffee, we headed back to the class and sat down beside each other. We got there about a minute before the break was over and when it was, the professor also walked back into the class. "Alright," she said. "For the rest of the class, I want all of you to partner up and work with your partner to working on an outline for the two summaries you'll write in class next week. They can take a while to understand, which is why I thought it would be easier to work in pairs. Once you find a partner, you can go anywhere you wish in the university."

       I was about to tell Mae that we were going to be partners, even though it was obvious, a girl walked up to the table Mae and I were at. "Hey, Ryder," she said. "Do you want to be partners?"

       Once again, I was about to say something, but yet another girl walked over. "Actually, I was going to ask Ryder to be my partner," she said. "So, what do you say?"