Chapter 12- Together Again

Start from the beginning

"Um, I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the party", he said, his voice piercing through the darkness.

"It's okay", I said, trying to sound like it didn't bother me at all. But it did bother me that he wasn't there. It bothered me a lot.

"So, uh, how are you?", he asked.

"Uh, great", I answered. "And yourself?"

"Good."

I'm contemplating with myself whether I should excuse myself and just go back in the room or just stay here and wait for him to say something else. It looks like both of us have no idea how to deal with this situation, at the moment. The reunion I had in mind when I saw him again was, to be honest, the two of us making out like there was no tomorrow. That makes it seem like I have no self-respect, but if you were in my position, I think you'd want to do the same thing.

"Do you wanna hang out or something? Catch up?", he spoke up again.

I nod, but remembered he can't see. "Yeah, sure."

"Let's go for a ride", he says all nonchalant.

"What?"

"Let's go for a ride. You know, drive around the city and hang out somewhere like McDonald's or whatever".

"Connor, it's like four a.m.", I pointed out with a small chuckle. "Don't you have school tomorrow?"

"Yes, mom, I do", he joked. "But I honestly don't care right now. Right now, I just care about you."

Hearing him say that just put a smile on my face that was probably enough to light up this dark hallway we're in. That's what I've been waiting for to hear all this time. It just gives me a little faith that maybe we can mend our relationship and fill in the little gap we had these past two months or so.

"I'd like that", I answered.

"Then wait for me downstairs?"

"Yeah".

And with that, I head towards the stairs and start going down. Connor's presence behind me is long gone and I stay by the front door and wait for him. I flicked on the front light (I don't know how to explain it. There's like a little space by the front door where you put your shoes and stuff on and light only covers that particular space) and that's when I realize that I don't have shoes to go out. I don't really feel like going all the way upstairs and going through my suitcase and duffel bag to find a pair, so I spot a pair of basketball shoes on this rack thing where all the shoes are and put them on. I'm gonna go take a wild guess that it's Connor's or Gabe's or even one of the other boys', and I assume they won't care if I borrow them.

A few minutes later, I hear footsteps and I turn around to see Connor. Now that there's actually some light, I can see his face and that face of his, I've missed so much. He sends me a smile and I think I could just melt right there. How I was able to survive two months without seeing or talking to him, I don't know.

"Are those Gabe's shoes?", he asked in amusement as he glanced down.

"Yeah", I answered sheepishly. "Do you think he'd mind?".

"Oh no", he scoffed. "Not at all. Here", he said, handing me one of the motorcycle helmets he was carrying with him.

I stared at it, confused. "Why do I need it?".

"Because, Andy", he started with a smile. "When you ride a Vespa, you need a helmet or else you'll break your head if an accident occurs".

That's when my jaw dropped and I gaped at him. "You have a freakin' Vespa?".