My blue suede Manolo Blahnik stilettos clacked on the marble as we made our way across the lobby, probably looking like some glamorous New York power couple. Ever since my father had made the transition from Miami-Dade District Attorney to Florida state Senator, my mother had insisted I dress flawlessly at all times, which was easier said than done. Most days I had to have Astoria, my brother's girlfriend, put together my outfits for me. Niall on the other hand now had a team of stylists, hairdressers, and make up artists at his beck and call, meaning that he looked better than ever. A part of me missed his khaki shorts and sneakers, I wasn't quite sure what to make of all the leather and skinny jeans. 

"Should I call you a car?" Niall asked, taking the now habitual look over his shoulder. Wherever any of the boys went, paparazzi followed, and I knew it especially bothered him. Luckily, there didn't seem to be any of the scumbags lurking around. The last thing we needed was to be photographed coming out of his apartment together. I had gone this long avoiding having any sort of highly publicized association with him, and I wanted to keep it that way.

"No, i'll just take a taxi. I think i'm getting the hang of them by now." I smiled softly. Driving in New York was even crazier than driving in Miami, and i'd had to leave my beloved Mustang down south. I was still getting used to having someone drive me around all the time. 

"Okay." He said, bringing my hand up to meet his lips. "Be safe."

He waved before climbing into the Lincoln Towncar that was idling on the curb waiting for him. Be safe. Every since the incident so many months ago he couldn't take his eyes of me without muttering the words. I know he meant well, but to me it was just a constant reminder of what once had almost been, and what now would never be.

I raised my hand up to hail a taxi, having to wait about five minutes before one actually stopped. "1265 Lexington Avenue, please." I said, giving the driver the address of Ash, Tori, and I guess my own Upper East Side apartment. I had begged them to let me go the dorm route and have a normal college experience, but I guess normal was too much to ask for. They had insisted I live with them in Tori's father's penthouse. 

I had been suspicious when Asher had told me he was going back to school at Columbia to get his master's in engineering, but when he and Tori had practically forced me into living with them I knew that they were up to something. Ever since, my, to dramatically put it, near death experience, everyone had been treating me like I was going to have a nervous breakdown at any given second. My parents had most definitely sent Asher and Tori to Manhattan to look after me, even though moving to New York was supposed to be about me asserting my independence. 

The traffic was horrific, as usual, but thankfully Niall's new apartment was on the Upper East Side as well, so there wasn't too far to travel. I paid the taxi driver and stepped out into the balmy summer afternoon, wishing that I hadn't been so quick to dismiss the almost too stylish floppy brown hat Tori had set out for me this morning. I pushed through the revolving doors, stepping into the heavenly, air conditioned lobby. 

"Good afternoon, Miss Parker." Said Tony, the bellhop, with a big smile, pressing the up button on the elevator for me. Tony was a kindly old man from the Bronx who I had immediately taking a liking too.

"Afternoon Tony!" I replied cheerfully. He never failed to put me in a good mood. "It's a beautiful day."

"You look quite beautiful yourself." He waved as the doors to the elevator closed, causing me to blush. Tony was always so kind, so optimistic about the world, it almost made me feel bad that I hated it so much.

I pressed the button to the penthouse, watching the numbers on the tiny screen increase until finally, there was a ding and the doors slid open, revealing the foyer to the cavernous apartment.