The Immortality Plot - chapter 31

Delaney entered the interior of the rundown house of prayer carefully, his instincts and nerves on red alert. Ryan followed him staying close.

They saw nothing.

A feeble light managed to penetrate windows that were caked with grime, enough to illuminate a garbage dump. Piles of old beetle-infested timber, piles of ancient friable hymn sheets, paper and magazines, domestic rubbish, broken chairs, rags, blankets, smashed beer bottles and cans were scattered all around the hall. Graffiti was scrawled and painted on walls and carved into the timbers that supported the building. An old clock hung by a dangling cable, long since stopped.

There was no one there.

Delaney stood stock still and scanned the entire room. Ryan did likewise.

“There’s no one here,” she whispered, more in fear of disturbing the layers of dust than in respect for being inside a building dedicated to God.

Delaney was gutted. He was more than disappointed. That bastard Rattin had sent him on a wild goose chase. He should have killed him. He gave sudden thanks to whomever it was that did.

Something moved.

Ryan grabbed Delaney’s arm. There it was again.

Rats?

Ryan detested the creatures. Was The Priest hiding in here? Delaney felt a prickle of sweat breaking out on his skin. There was something or someone in here with them. He turned without moving his feet and could see absolutely nothing. There was nowhere to hide. He allowed his instincts to take over, half closing his eyes.

Rustle!

The sound was coming from somewhere close to the door at ground level.

Ryan screamed.

Something was moving underneath a pile of dirty blankets and garbage. It was a squirming motion. Delaney didn’t hesitate. He strode over to the spot and took hold of the top blanket, pulling it back.

Rachel Maclean coughed. Air at last. She couldn’t see. She could hardly breathe. She had thought she was dead.

“Oh my God,” gasped Ryan.

Rachel Maclean was thin and pale. Her eyes were milky from drug overdose. She was wearing a grimy pale green gown ruffed up exposing her lower body. It was the kind of gown you get given in hospital. She had urinated. There were traces of encrusted blood on her thighs. She tried to speak but her tongue had swollen.

“Jesus,” said Ryan. “The poor thing.”

“Thank God,” breathed Delaney, silently thanking the cosmos for her safe delivery. He thought quickly. If Rachel Maclean was here then Rattin had been telling the truth. That meant that The Priest could be here at any minute. They had to move fast. He knelt down and gathered Rachel Maclean in his arms. She weighed little. He picked her up and noticed the flicker of fear crossing her face.

“Rachel,” he said to her. “Rachel, you are going to be all right. You’re going to see your mother very soon. Lena is waiting for you. She is going to look after you. Rachel, try to focus.”

Rachel was trying to speak but her voice was just a whispering drawl. She had little control over her vocal chords.

Ryan led the way to the door.

“Be careful,” whispered Delaney. “Make sure.”

Ryan opened the door a minute crack, enough to peer outside at the gathering dawn. Everything seemed as it was before. Frost gleamed, the ocean breeze whooshed in gusts. Ryan could see no one.