III

They stood in silence, watching Veronica's body disappear right in front of them. They waited until her body was completely gone until they spoke again, a way to show respect for the dead, even though one of them was the killer. "She put up quite the fight, even though she wasn't able to lay a scratch on me," Meliodas chuckled, then glanced at his wing, "except for that last one." 

"Quite alarming. Veronica was one of our best warriors, how were you able to defeat her just like that?" Elizabeth asked, glancing at Meliodas, only to find him smiling. "You don't reveal your secrets to your enemy, Elizabeth." 

Elizabeth chuckled at his response, "alright, how did you know she was my sister? We don't look similar." Meliodas flapped his wings, making her step back for him to have space. "Let me help with that," she moved closer to his damaged wing, and he stepped back cautiously. "What are you doing?" 

"I hear your wing sizzling from Veronica's beam, it must be hurting quite a lot," Elizabeth told him, but Meliodas only gave her a skeptical look, "how do I know you won't tear off my wings as soon as you touch it?" 

She's different, get rid of it. Get rid of it, now!

"I would never do such a thing, an apostle's promise," Elizabeth gave him a sweet smile. "We're supposed to be enemies," Meliodas continued to tell her. "The war hasn't begun yet," she argued. "We're enemies in general," he still continued, but Elizabeth saw how his wings were lowering and so did his guard. 

"I don't attack unless provoked, Meliodas. Now, come here," she motioned him to fill the space between them. "I killed your sister right in front of you, isn't this weird to you?" Elizabeth ignored his question, "stop talking already and come here or I'll pull your wing and heal it by force." Meliodas blinked at her looking confused, "are you sure you're the commander?" 

"Provoke me and see," Elizabeth sighed, walking towards Meliodas instead. He stood alarmed, his wings back up, along with his guard, "Hey, don't even try," he put his hand up, ready to cast a spell if she attacked first. The sight made Elizabeth stop and laugh, "calm down, we're not in battle. Just answer my question and I'll heal your wing, can't I be a normal healing goddess for once in my life?" 

"I don't think that's in your job description," Meliodas replied, his wings lowering, giving Elizabeth the signal that she could approach him again, and as soon as she did, her hands emitted a golden light, "this will just take a second, now, answer my question from earlier." 

"You're not a secret, you know that, right?" Meliodas asked, "everyone knows who the commander's siblings are. I also know your sister Margaret, but she's not a fighter like you and Veronica." Elizabeth only stayed silent and watched the wound close up. "but now I know something that others don't." 

Elizabeth rose her brow at him, "Oh? What's that?" Meliodas chuckled, moving his head back to face her, "you're fun and softhearted, such traits aren't applicable in the battlefield." She only replied when she was done healing his wing, "indeed I am both, and so are you."

Meliodas flapped his wings as soon as they were healed and turned around to fully face her, "so am I? Elaborate," he crossed his arms, looking amused. "You haven't killed me yet, usually demons would be at my neck by now. Like me, you only attack when provoked, I'm assuming you don't enjoy killing as much as the demons give you credit for. It's not in your job description to act in such a way either. Sure, you're cautious, but see how close I am now," Elizabeth shot back. 

He looked impressed with her observation, "I take back what I said, you are the commander. Your observation skills are impeccable, your assumption may be accurate, but on the battlefield a few days from now, It's not going to be that way. I will kill more of your people than the demons give me credit for." 

Elizabeth wasn't fazed, "I like that we're on the same page. I'll be waiting for your clan to come at us like they used to, and lose like they used to." Meliodas gasped jokingly, "you take my control lightly, Elizabeth." 

"Maybe I do," She chuckled, causing Meliodas to snort, and both of them ending up laughing. "Since we're acting like civilized people right now, is it alright to ask why you don't have your wings out? You didn't have them out yesterday." 

"My, my, such impeccable observation skills," Elizabeth chuckled, "I don't need them. I can maneuver through the air well without the help of my wings, I like to believe I'm faster, even."  

Screams of pain.

"Faster without wings? I'd like to take up that challenge if I'm allowed to." Meliodas flapped his wings again, ready to lift off when given the signal. Elizabeth knew this was weird, being so acquainted with the enemy's commander, her enemy. She didn't expect to engage in conversation with him this much, not after killing her sister. But here she was, getting ready to fly off as well. 

"Whoever gets to the meadow we met at yesterday, wins," Meliodas told her, and she only nodded. They counted to three until they sped off, and by the end of that, Elizabeth won. He only looked at her in awe, "you didn't use any enchantments?" She shook her head at his question, "I've been flying without wings for years, I've mastered this more than anyone." 

"You're weird," Meliodas shook his head, "but I guess this whole scenario is weird. We just raced like it was nothing. Like we aren't from different clans, specifically the ones that are always at each other's throats on a daily basis. It's refreshing." 

"It really is,"