Chapter Twenty-Five: Under the Overhang

Start from the beginning

“Does that apply to you?”

“In your case? No. You're my customers. Very curious customers, but you're not going to hurt me -and if you tried I wouldn't be too afraid.” Kryos answered honestly. “People have tried to hurt me before. After a while you learn to tell which ones they are by the looks in their eyes. You don't have the look.”

Tauren nodded. “Well, you've got that right.”

“So, miss?” Kryos asked, stepping up over a massive rock sticking out of the trail. “What'd you say your name was?”

Tauren glanced at her. It was one of his unanswered questions. “Oh, my name's Kylathalora -though my friends Kyla.”

Kryos raised an eyebrow at her. “And which should I call you?”

She smiled, tossing her head. “If I don't like what you call me, I'll tell you.”

“Miss?”

“Sorry, that won't work. It's used too much.” Tauren caught himself staring at her smile, and felt himself smiling thinly as well.

“Well then, Kyla it is -Kylathalora sounds like an Aletian word, and they were cutthroat pirates.” Kryos grinned and Kyla gave a small laugh.

“Yeah. It'll do for you I think.”

“I'm Kryos. Everybody calls me Kryos, unless they hate me, then they usually just make up something.” He chuckled to himself. Just then they crested the hill they'd been climbing and they all stopped.

Before them spread a small valley, bathed in the light of a full moon -surrounded by a thousand stars. In the valley was built a large pasture, and a long, neatly built stable and barn. A few yards away from the pasture was a corral, and not far from that was a small, neat house with a garden behind it which had a small stream running through it out of a well.

“Wow.” Kyla whispered. “It's beautiful.”

Tauren nodded his agreement.

Kryos shrugged modestly. “Oh, it's nothing really. Not much to show for eight years of work. But it's my home, and I like it. Come on.” Quickly he started off down the hillside, closely followed by Tauren and Kyla, who had a curious look in her eyes which belied the confusion and fear Tauren had seen earlier. It made her look younger and far happier. More the type of person he'd talk to.

12-8-2013

“Just give me a moment here.” Kryos muttered to them as they approached his house. Stepping up to the heavy wooden door he pulled out a key and opening it, slipped inside. A moment later a second lantern flared to life inside the dark house, there was a few moments of footsteps on a wood floor, and then Kryos stepped back out carrying a handful of . . . carrots.

He tossed one to Kyla and Tauren, grinning widely.

Kyla frowned. “What are these for?” She stared at the long orange vegetable like she'd never seen one before.

“It's a carrot. For the horses.” Kryos chuckled.

“Horses love carrots.” Tauren put in, tossing his into the air.

Kryos nodded. “Come on.” And headed for the stables. Inside was dark, but Kryos had another lantern handy, and after a couple of quick sparks, the wick flared to life, lighting up the place. It was quite simple really; a row of seven or eight stalls set up in front of wooden shelves covered in horsemen's equipment and heaps of hay, all had horses in them. As they saw the light, their ears perked up and they turned their heads toward the door, whinnying greetings.