Money and Power

Ross drove his car to a quiet road that he knew, just outside of the Dales. He waited for Vincent to join him.

Ross had been waiting for 10 minutes then a car arrived... Vincent got out if his car, then Ross approached him. Vincent was young, he wasn't what Ross was expecting. He was obviously an understudy to Steven.

Ross: Look who it is, its the other half of the chuckle brothers.

Vincent: Do you think this is a joke? Steven was my mate, so take that cocky smirk off your space.

Ross: Oh, please. Steven wasn't your mate, he was just a scum bag who made you a bit of money, you should be grateful, with Steven gone you can run things now.

Vincent: You're right, and my first target is you, that money that you owed Steven, you now owe it to me.

Ross: I've got a better idea, you can work for me.

Vincent: Why would I work for you? I don't even know you.

Ross: Well think of it as working with me, just small stuff like nicking cars, you'll make more money than you did for sweeping Stevens floor. I own half of home farm, in Emmerdale. In a few months Im getting getting the other half signed over to me. Ive got enough money and power to make you disappear forever, so either work for me or leave.

Vincent: How couldn't you pay Steven off then? You cant have that much money.

Ross: Because all of the money was tied up, Im in a partnership, I cant just take tens of thousands pounds out the business. When its all mine, I can do what I want. Here, this might persuade you.

Ross threw Vincent a bag, which had 5k in...

Ross: Think of that as a deposit, if you work with me, you can make double that amount. Do we have a deal?

Ross and Vincent shook hands, like most gangsters, Vincent was motivated by money and he caved in so easily.

Vincent: So how does this all work?

Ross: I'll text you the details, the cars I want lifted. We split it straight down the middle, you get a 20% cut on everyone. That's all I've got planned at the moment but more will come. Its on one condition though, you call Stevens cronies and tell them that it wasn't me who killed him. Then you distance yourself from them, that 5k should last you for a while shouldn't it?

Steven: I suppose that will do for now, as long as we make tonnes of cash, Im happy. See you later, boss.

Vincent drove off, leaving Ross feeling happy with himself. He now had someone on the pay roll, he knew that he shouldn't really be doing this but the buzz that Ross got was just too good.

Ross couldn't believe it, he expected to be met by people after his blood, not a lad in his 20s, desperate for cash. Steven obviously didn't have as much power as he made out.

Ross made his way back home and Rebecca was waiting for him. The way Ross spoke before he left made Rebecca feel really anxious. So it was just pure relief to see him walk back through the door.

Rebecca: Thank god that you're back. Where have you been?

Ross: I met Stevens right hand man, Vincent.

Rebecca: You met him after killing his mate? Do you have a death wish?

Ross: Relax, he's just a kid, desperate for money. He was obviously just being used by Steven. The truth is, Steven doesn't have people trying to avenge his death, just people that worked for him.

Rebecca: So what happened? Where is this Vincent now?

Ross: I told him that I had a bit of work for him, I felt sorry for him. He reminds me of myself, when I ran away from home.

Rebecca: What sort of work?

Ross: Right, I was going to tell you ages ago but its only just been finalised. I've bought the garage from Cain, I've offered Vincent a job and he took it.

Ross actually had bought the garage, he just lied about hiring Vincent but he now had to give him a job, to put Rebecca off the scent.

Rebecca: Why did you buy the garage? Dad is retiring in a matter of months, home farm will be ours.

Ross: Yes, I know but you will be running things, I don't have a clue about that sort of stuff but I know how to run a garage. Just trust me on this one, Im off to get the keys off Cain now. I'll be back soon.

Ross went straight over to the garage, Cain was locking up.

Ross: Saying your last goodbyes? I don't think it will miss you.

Cain: Do you want a smack? Here you are (Cain threw Ross the keys)

Ross: I bet you're glad to be rid of this place, you can watch Jeremy Kyle all day now. Hey, you and Charity should go on that, I can just picture the headline "Inbred cousins have a kid together".

Cain: You're awfully cocky for a murderer aren't you, Ross?

Ross: You what?

Cain: I do watch the news, Steven shows up here looking for you and then a week later, he's dead. If I was you Id watch your back.

Ross: You just keep your mouth shut, you got it? You can't prove anything.

Cain just gave Ross a wink and then walked off, the last thing Ross needed was Cain Dingle on his case...