7 - The Mermaid

"Spencer, girls, it's time to wake up," Mrs. Hastings announced loudly the next day as if it wasn't very early in the morning, making them all groan in disapproval.

The girls eventually got up sleepily and went to do all of their regular hygiene and beauty routines. They each came out of the various bathrooms in the Hastings' house and went downstairs, beginning to make pancakes for breakfast.

"So, there's this new karaoke place just outside of town. We can catch a bus there," Spencer lightly suggested mid-conversation.

"Spencer Jill Hastings, I didn't know you were into karaoke," Aria remarked jokingly.

Spencer playfully hit Aria on the arm and the smaller brunette feigned a hurt look. The two of them laughed at each other before Alison spoke up, "So, I guess it's karaoke night."

"What do you guys want to do until then? We have the whole day free," Emily remarked casually while absentmindedly playing with her bracelet.

"We could go to the country club, the pool is open," Spencer proposed.

"Wow, Spence, you're just full of ideas today," Alison replied in dry humor, even though she thought the girl's ideas were actually beneficial. "Okay, pool it is," she confirmed and couldn't resist kissing Emily's cheek on her way over to the fridge, making the girl's lips bend into an easy grin. The blonde noticed Hanna hasn't said a word the entire time they were talking, so she turned to her. "Why so silent, Han? What'cha thinkin' about?" she piped up with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Hanna was taken-back from the question and flinched a little, like her thoughts had been cut off. "N-Nothing," she quickly replied.

"Oh come on, Han, tell us. We're dying to know," Alison stated sarcastically. She caught Emily rolling her eyes in the corner of her own and sighed mentally in order to relax. "Never mind, I guess. You don't have to say it," Alison let out exasperatedly and Hanna expelled a relieved sigh she didn't know she was holding.

They finished making breakfast and ate while discussing what to wear to the pool and to the karaoke place. Soon enough, Alison wasn't the only one who noticed Hanna was unusually mute, it was Emily who noticed it as well. The swimmer, knowing Hanna, didn't want to bring it up while being next to everyone. She knew how much Hanna didn't like being questioned or put on the spot.

Once they finished eating, they went to get dressed and get their stuff prepared for the day. Since Emily took the least time to do so, she went to talk to Hanna who was locked in the bathroom, changing.

"Han?" Emily asked once she was out of the girls' sights. She heard sniffing through the door and instantly knew that Hanna was... crying.

After a few seconds, she heard a weak voice replying in-between sniffs, "Yeah?"

Emily felt her heart breaking over Hanna's nearly-silent voice. She didn't know what the usually-bubbly blonde was so upset about, upset enough for her to be heard crying all the way through the thick door.

"Hanna, what's wrong? Come out and talk to me," when Emily didn't hear a reply she added, "please?"

Suddenly, she heard the lock turning. The door swung open and revealed Hanna with puffy red eyes. Emily instantly embraced her best friend into a tight hug without a second thought. "Hey, it's okay, Han. What's wrong?" the brunette asked in a soothing voice.

"I just - it's stupid, Em, never mind," Hanna waved it off in between sniffs as she parted from Emily.

"Han, you're like my sister. You can tell me anything, okay?" Emily reassured worryingly as she stepped back to look at Hanna.