Chapter Thirty-Eight

[Content Warning: This chapter has been modified in order to adhere to Wattpad's "Everyone" rating. To read the complete and original version of this chapter, check out the STARBORN MATURE CHAPTERS book on my profile]

It would take three nights to reach the mainland. May spent the majority of the first day at sea waffling back and forth between disbelief and worry.

As the wind whipped around her petite frame, she clutched at the handrail of the deck and watched Hoku disappeared into the distance.

"I can't believe this," she whispered in awe. "I actually left Hoku. I've never been this far from home before."

Em smiled at her. "I'm proud of you, Maybe. This is going to be amazing. You're going to love it."

A handful of hours later, May's enthusiasm waned as the ship docked briefly to pick up more passengers. She eyed the shoreline as she twisted her fingers into knots.

"What have I done?" she moaned. "I can't do this. I've never been anywhere before. Maybe we should just get off here and wait for the next–"

"Hey, look at me," Em interrupted, taking her gently by the shoulders. "You're not going to be doing this alone. Besides, you are so much more capable than you give yourself credit for. Just try to relax."

Taking a few deep breaths, May nodded. Em looked at her, an inscrutable expression on her face.

"You're hard to pin down sometimes, you know that?" She laughed softly.

May flinched. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Em cocked her head and thought carefully before answering

"Sometimes it seems like you're totally ready to throw yourself into the unknown," she replied. "Like you can't wait to leave all the bullshit behind and do your own thing. But other times it's like all you want to do is maintain the status quo and do as you're told. It's like you haven't quite decided what you really want yet."

"Is that bad thing?" May couldn't fight the discomfort of being dissected this way.

Em's eyes searched May's face as if there was a secret to be found somewhere in between her furrowed brows and uneasy stare.

"No, I don't think it's a bad thing," Em conceded, reaching up to brush some billowing curls from May's face. Her fingers lingered, making May shiver involuntarily. "But I'll bet it's exhausting."

***

When she woke the following morning, May found her anxiety had faded with the islands.  A revitalized sense of adventure had flourished in its place.

She spent the day dragging Em around the ship, driven by her natural curiosity to explore every accessible nook and cranny - and maybe one or two that were technically off limits. Surrounded as they were by strangers, May chatted happily with anyone who would give her the time of day. Finally out from beneath the haunting cloud of her past, May seemed to blossom before Em's eyes.

By evening, May had virtually forgotten whatever she had been worried about in the first place. She embraced her newfound freedom and turned her attentions to Em accordingly.

As the sun began to set, the pair strolled the decks aimlessly hand-in-hand; a luxury that thrilled them both. Something about not having to hide or be concerned with what anyone thought stirred up playful excitement in May. She flirted and teased, working a rise out of Em with stolen kisses and lust-drunk whispers. It took no time at all for Em to cave. She steered May back to the privacy of their quarters and pushed her against the wall before the door had even clicked shut behind them.