Chapter 9

The strength that Stavros possessed in one arm wasn't surprising. What was surprising was the strength that Elion could fight against that arm with. Why Stavros didn't just let the brat go, he didn't know. Something about rules or..he wasn't sure. Hell, he would have punched the bastard in the face himself if it weren't for some disgusting feeling of responsibility that had hit him. Mikhail would piss himself if he saw the scene playing out. Stavros thanked every Higher Power known to creation that the old man couldn't.

"Elion, enough." He sighed tiredly. The brat stopped fighting for a moment, almost giving up before the uniformed prick in front of them smirked and raised a brow.

"So he is the bitch, huh?" The overweight bastard taunted. Stavros sucked his teeth at that comment and loosened his grip enough for Elion to slip through. He watched with an obvious amusement as the normally peppy little shit threw a fist into the shifter's jaw.

When fangs elongated and eyes began to glow, the officer's partner put an arm up to separate the two. "Bill, you gotta stop this shit." He mumbled to his shifting partner. Elion didn't even flinch at the sight, and Stavros had to give him kudos for it, though he wouldn't say it out loud. Maybe the kid wasn't such a wimp after all.

Elion bit down on his tongue to keep from saying anything further. He knew that he needed to calm down or they would end up causing a huge scene. The entire morning was turning out to be nothing but a mess; a huge, chaotic, miserable mess.

He had woken up at quarter after six to a ringing phone. His eyes were barely opened as he mumbled a greeting that was replied to by none other than a disgustingly awake Mikhail, who informed him that there had been multiples murders. He had little information other than the location of the crime scene and the detective in charge in that sector.

He quickly got up, stubbing his toe on the bed and catching himself by the skin of his teeth before he smashed his face into the floor. He climbed back up with a irritated cuss only to find Stavros having some type of nightmare. His sharpened nails were digging into the mattress and his pearly fangs seemed to glisten in the dark; it was nothing short of terrifying. The second he put a hand out to wake him up, Stavros had shut up with a feral growl. There wasn't a hint of anything but the darkest of blacks filling the entirety of his eyes and his fangs were bared and no doubt ready to tear through his flesh.

Elion had carefully extended a hand, as if Stavros were a dog. It was a stupid move, really, but he had never claimed to be a genius. Teeth snapped and he gasped, pausing for a moment before stepping a little closer. Within another minute he was crouched beside Stavros, gently gripping his shoulders and coaxing him to relax. It was obvious that he was asleep, or maybe this was what happened when a cambion lost their mind. Stavros wasn't speaking, or even blinking; he just stared.

"What are you doing?" Stavros suddenly grumbled, shoving away Elion's hands like they were on fire.

Elion blinked a few times, his tired brain refusing to even try and process what had just happened. He sighed and told Stavros what was going on. The larger man mumbled under his breath as he threw back the comforter and got out of bed. Elion couldn't help but take note of how stupidly beautiful the bastard was when he woke up.

He didn't say a word about what the demonic freak out, whether it was because he was embarrassed or because he didn't remember, but Elion wasn't going to point it out. From there, they left and Elion tried to keep Stavros from killing a taxi driver. Taxi's were a big no-no, that was getting put on a huge neon post-it note for future reference.

Elion forced them to stop at a coffee shop where he got them breakfast and tea, though Stavros found things in that to complain about as well. The tea tasted like swamp tar and the bagel tasted like plastic. The sugar was nothing but chemicals and at that point, Elion tuned him out completely.