Still More October 18th Part 2

Leah tensed, her hands folding into fists as she considered the dragon in front of her. It was the long, thin type and her eyes narrowed as she considered how fast she could get to it before it was able to do any magic. Kevin must have noticed the signs because his voice spoke into her head saying There are three more dreigun just beyond. They will be on us in moments if we attack. She is demanding to know why we were outside.

            Adrenaline already pumping, Leah came to a quick decision. Let me do the talking and tell me what she says. She forced her shoulders to sag a bit and put, what she hoped, was a sheepish expression on her face. “We were practicing our human forms as we were instructed,” she said, doing her best to mimic the more formal speech pattern Kevin used. “We had not realized how late it was until the sun went down. Then we returned with all speed.”

            The blue dragon hissed. Did you not hear the war cry? Kevin translated.

            She blinked rapidly, cocking her head to one side as she’d seen her partner do so many times before. “No. We went far away so no one would see us stumble. Is everything alright?”

            The creature hunkered down slightly, hissing lower, eyes flicking to the ceiling briefly. I do not know if you are stupid or lucky. Our clan has come under attack. Return to your rooms and be grateful I do not have time to punish you.

            “Oh! We are very sorry. Thank you!” Leah replied, trying to sound shocked and grateful. It seemed to work since the dragon just flicked her tail towards the nearest archway. Kevin and Leah ducked their heads in another apology and hurried towards the archway, they heard the dragon hiss again.

            Leah glanced at Kevin. She said Fledglings. I would not have thought of pretending to be fledglings. Thank you.

            She snorted. I have far more experience in getting out of trouble. And besides, I’m at least used to lying.

            She took his silence as agreement and concentrated on their surroundings. Like Kevin’s home, the ground, walls, and ceilings all seemed to be made of glass. But this glass appeared to be transparent, the green of the mountain rock showing through the shiny surface. The glow globes here gave off a white light, the paleness of it reminding her of the moon. She wondered what colour the moon here was then pushed the thought away as pointless.

            The archway they were passing under was smooth, with no little blocks surrounding it. Instead, at the very top were six odd little carvings. One looked kind of like a triangle with a wavy line through the upper part and another almost like a magic-type dragon. The rest she had no clue as to what they were.

            They followed the hallway they found themselves in, keeping up a quick pace in case the guard at the door realized they were intruders. It was a few minutes before they came to a fork, the hall continuing straight and branching to the right and the left. The one in front of them had the magic-type dragon and something with lots of long rectangular bits that could possibly be a plant. The one to their right had the wavy lined triangle and three linked circles that had vertical lines through each of them. The one to their left had a symbol that was four vertical, wavy lines and a square with an ex through it. She stared at the little carvings for several seconds before turning to Kevin. What do they mean?

            I can only guess at some of their meanings. Each clan’s symbols and method of marking their home is different, he replied, studying the pictures carefully.

            Your guess will be better than mine.

            I believe the dreigun indicates the sleeping quarters and the flames the food warehouse, he said.

            She frowned. Flames? Which one is that one?

            He sent her a picture of the one with the wavy vertical lines. The others are far less clear.

            Leah tapped one toe as she thought quickly. Well, I can’t imagine they’d put a prisoner near where they eat or sleep so we might as well just keep going straight. Maybe we’ll get lucky and find some kind of sign. Oh, are you going to stay human? Cause if you’re going to change, I’d like some warning.

            Kevin shook his head. It is harder for fellow dreigun to detect me in human form.

            Human form it is then, Leah replied, leading the way down the hall. She was quiet for several minutes before asking, Where do you think Sam is?

            I believe they will have SArad in the innermost area of their mountain. It is generally the most secure location of any clan’s home. I imagine they will have left some guards in case of a mission such as ours. We will likely have to fight them.

            She nodded. Good. She paused for a long moment then thought quietly, They won’t have hurt him will they?

            He frowned. I cannot imagine why they would. They are attempting to use him to regain their fallen status. Treating him anything but well is sure to make him reluctant to help them. I believe they will be speaking to him of how my clan has been persecuting them and how we are out for power. They will try to convince him of their supposed good intentions. However, I am not certain how they will be doing so. They, as well as we, had expected to be dealing with a child, not a near-adult.

            Sam’s smart. I’m sure he’s playing along, she replied, trying to force herself to believe her own words.

            Kevin nodded. He has always been bright. I am certain he is safe and planning his escape. We may even find him making his way to the outside.

            Leah heard the same kind of forceful hope in Kevin’s thoughts, like he too was trying to trick himself into believing Sam was perfectly fine. Without realizing it, she hurried her steps, Kevin matching her pace. They would find him, even if she had to tear this place apart with her bare hands.