Chapter 29

Kelly had a dilemma. She didn't know whether she should tell her mother and grandmother about the event that transpired last night. Her wedding was in two days, and Alex was soon to leave New York. There simply wasn't much time left to play Cupid, even though she was pretty sure Jayden and Alex had already fallen in love with each other. They simply needed a nudge to confess their feelings; that was all.

As she advanced toward the two elderly women, she was pretty sure they were having a quiet argument. About what, she wasn't sure.

"She isn't the person you think she is, Mother," Gracie said tightly. "Think of Jayden. He's your grandson. If you keep doing this, you're going to break his heart. And Alex's for that matter. Can't you accept Jayden loves her and wants her as part of our family?"

"I know," Beth snapped. "Everything just changes all of a sudden. This girl, Alexandra, just turns up in our lives and changes everything."

"Mother, I understand that. But she's having your great-grandchild. Isn't that want you want? Isn't that why you keep telling Jayden to get married?"

"Yes, yes," Beth snapped again, fluttering her hands in frustration. "I thought Britney was a good person. I thought she'd be a good granddaughter-in-law."

Kelly thought this would be a good time for her to interrupt them. She said, "There's something else you both should know."

Both Gracie and Beth turned to Kelly in surprise. Obviously, they thought they were alone.

"Britney asked Kyle to spike Alex's drink last night so he could rape her."

"What?" Beth was shocked.

"This is simply outrageous!" Gracie said. She was seething with anger. And Gracie never got angry.

Beth shook her head. She sighed as if she were exhausted and couldn't take in any more. "I need to go and lie down."

Both Kelly and Gracie watched as Beth made her way toward the house, her head low and her shoulders slumped. They knew she had a lot to think about.

In her luxurious bedroom, Beth gazed into space. In her mind's eye, she remembered her time with her husband, David McCartney—that handsome man she had fallen in love with at first sight. She remembered how much he loved her and how much he wanted to give the world to her. In a way he had, and she found it had never been the luxury of their wealth or social status. It had always been their love for each other.

Is she really hurting Jayden and Alexandra?

She squared her shoulders and agreed she was in the wrong. She turned on her heel and walked out the door.

At Jayden's door, she hesitantly knocked three times.

"Come in." She heard Jayden's voice.

She opened the door and stepped in. She saw Jayden eyeing her in surprise. Then she glanced at Alex. The young woman looked pale and sick.

"I need to speak with Alexandra alone, please, Jayden," she said.

Jayden hesitated for a moment and then nodded. Beth noticed Alex was holding on to Jayden's hand tightly, as though she were afraid she'd lose him.

"It's okay. I'll be back," he said gently.

Alex reluctantly nodded. She looked like a frightened child.

At the door, Jayden said to his grandma, "She's still not herself."

Beth nodded. The drug hadn't yet worn off. Once Jayden was gone and the door was closed, she came to sit down on the side of the bed and took Alex's hand into hers.