Chapter 24

Elena

We're running out of time.

Alex and I, we promised to settle an agreement in approximately three to four months, yet it's been a month and we're not any closer to our goal. I've been so distracted with H, having late night meetings with him then spending time with my new friends and taking care of my duties, I've completely put it all aside, and so has Alex.

I contemplate all that as I try to tame my hair and end up pulling it up in a careless, messy ponytail, my uniform heavy from the variety of weapons tucked in it, weighing me down. I get the urge to flip off the person in the mirror, her eyes filled with worry and anxiety, two feelings I absolutely loathe. I thought I had my priorities straight, but with H in the picture, everything has fallen apart. I care about him.

The aspect of caring about anyone other than Alex and myself has been so distant to me for so long, it feels strange and new to actually feel something for someone else. I believed I was strong enough to resist forming any attachments, especially to a guy. My previous experiences weren't all bad, but it never went past physical connection. With H, there has barely been anything of the sort yet I feel connected to him.

My heart skips a beat when I see him standing in the centre of my room as I exit the bathroom. It takes me a few seconds to react, to which he bursts out laughing. He's dressed in his usual matching black sweatpants and a sweatshirt, looking charming as usual.

"Okay if this didn't kill me, nothing will," I say, my palm placed over my chest.

"Relax, scaredy cat, I mean I know I'm a pleasing sight, but it doesn't mean you should die when you see me," he says, a slight smirk on his lips. 

"I can't help myself, you're so charming," I tease, a smile on my face. "What are you even doing here, this is highly against the rules."

"Well maybe I don't like following the rules all the time," he says, his tone matching mine. "Sometimes I prefer no rules."

His eyes suddenly focus on a box of tampons on my bed, his lips slightly parted and eyes widened as if he's just seen a monster. A naked monster with hairs everywhere.

"Take deep breaths, they won't bite," I say gently as if I'm talking to a little child. "Go ahead, honey, approach the bed."

He flips me off angrily while I laugh loudly, making him laugh as well. I'm definitely one of those people whose laughter is funnier than the actual joke. My cheerful mood disappears as I suddenly remember I'm supposed to run, spend the whole day outside when there's a 99% chance of rain and drive around while losing blood.

It's literally hell's waterfall week for me.

I cringe when I remember bursting into Tori's room yesterday very early in the morning which almost got me killed since she pointed a gun at me when I woke her up, only so I can grab the box of female saviour product. "Good luck and think of me when you use those," she said.

H looks at me, an amused expression on his face. "I believe you know by now we change sheets every Sunday, but I can arrange for it to be done more so you don't bleed all over yours and are forced to lie on your blood--"

"Thank you for that vivid image, but that won't be necessary," I interrupt, rolling my eyes.

He raises his hands defensively, holding back a smile. "Okay okay, just don't go all emotional monster on me-- wait, you know what, I'm gonna need you to give me your knives while you're in this state--"