Chapter 11

Lacey sighed and checked the time again. 10:05 PM. She unlocked her phone and tweeted a sad face. Then, solely because she couldn't help herself she went to Jack's twitter and saw a tweet that made her heart sink down to her stomach.

@JackAllTimeLow: Stayin' in tonight with the dog and a glass of red wine! Anyone know any good shows on Netflix?

(sent 9:55 PM)

Lacey was hurt. It wasn't that her and Jack had made definite plans and Lacey would have understood if he had other plans, but he didn't. He was staying at home. Lacey also knew knowing Jack he hadn't meant to hurt her and probably just forgotten about their tentative plans.

"I hate to bother you but can I get a Manhattan?" A woman asked from behind the counter.

"Sure," Lacey said to the woman. Lacey mixed the drink and handed it to the woman. The woman looked like she was in her mid 30's. She also looked very tired and overly stressed out.

"Are you ok?" Lacey asked the woman. Lacey almost never struck up conversations with the customers but this woman looked like she was about to cry.

"No, I'm not. Thank you for asking sweetie," The woman said sweetly.

"Can I ask what's wrong?" Lacey said not wanting to pry.

"I'm going through a divorce and my ex is trying to get full custody of my kids and I don't know what I'm going to do without my kids. They're my whole world," The woman said choking on her words a little. Lacey realized that people had way bigger problems than her, and she would text Jack later.

"I'm so sorry," Lacey said not knowing what more to say.

"It's not even like the divorce is my fault! I mean yes it was my idea, but only because he was cheating with some bimbo! But now of course he wants custody? I just, I don't understand," The lady said.

"You seem like a great woman. And have you seen yourself? You're gorgeous. Any guy who lost that is an idiot. And hey if the judge doesn't see a reason to give him full custody, the judge won't. Also most judges really do favor the mother," Lacey said trying to calm the woman down. But she couldn't even fathom, the thought of her unborn kids being taken away from her.

"Thank you sweetie, I should be going now. Have a lovely evening," The woman said paying her bill and leaving.

"You too!" Lacey called after the woman.

Lacey glanced at her phone again. 10:25PM just five more minutes and she could leave. Lacey heard the door open and there stood Jack. Not just Jack though, Jack in glasses. Her boyfriend in glasses made her insides practically melt and she just wanted to jump on him and kiss his face but at the same time although she tried not to be, she was hurt.

"You didn't think I forgot did you?" Jack asked. But Lacey knew he had. He had on a white shirt, black jeans, and a black leather jacket, his hair was very messed up and the glasses gave it away that he had been rushing out of the house.

"Jack I know you did. I saw your tweet," Lacey said.

"I'm sorry Lace," Jack said.

"Jack I'm mad but we can't have this conversation now. I'm at work. Give me five minutes okay?" Lacey said.

"At least let me take you out?" Jack pleaded.

"I don't feel like going out. Can we just go to my house?" Lacey asked.

"Of course. If you want to," Jack said.

"Hey Katie," Lacey said greeting the other bar tender.

"Hey Lacey. You're free," Katie said giving Lacey a warm smile.