Chapter 12

(Cato's POV)

Tonight is the interviews. I am in a blue tuxedo and Clove is in a peach coloured dress. She looks beautiful. I watch the screen tentatively when it is her turn to be interviewed. Ceasar warmly greets her and kisses her hand as she gracefully sits in her chair. At first, they talk about knife throwing, and other stuff, but then Ceasar moves onto a more moving subject.

"So, Clove..." Ceasar's voice becomes serious. "I think we all remember your brother, Thomas Kentwell. Tell us how you felt when he died."

Clove's smile faded. "Devastated." she replies. "I felt like I'd lost the sun." She looked like it too.

Ceasar sighed. "Well, didn't you feel proud of him for getting reaped in the first place?" he asks.

"No." she replies. "Why be proud of someone who's about to die?"

"Well, he could have won -"

"But he didn't." Clove tone had risen.

"I know that Clove, but-" Ceasar tries to move off the subject.

"His body never came back, you know. Everyone else's did except his. They said he was missing."

There is an awkward silence, where the crowd is stunned either by the disappearance of Thomas Kentwell or the hostile atmosphere Clove has suddenly created.

"Well, that's your time up, anyway," Ceasar says, slightly intimidated by her firmness. "Clove Kentwell everybody!"

A round of applause fills the room. Why didn't she tell me that her brother never came back home?