v || c r e e k

pre-1943

"Philophobia; the fear of falling in love,"

Love: That was not a word Enoch even considered possible before Aspen had lived in the house.

She had changed his scattered means, but how could he allow such a thing to happen to him? Aspen wasn't anything extraordinary, either; however, to Enoch she was everything. She just made him feel a distinctive way, that no one else had made him feel. Yet, how do you say that to a person, without mentioning the two biggest passions- Love and Hate. 

"Enoch?" He heard a soft voice, and he automatically knew it was her voice- Her sound that appeared friendly and naive. "Yeah?" He spoke, still in his thoughts about her. He heard the crunch of twigs underneath Aspen's feet. He hadn't realized the scenery in front of his eyes, as he was so immersed in those bothersome thoughts.

The sky was, now, setting, and it sported a soft pink color with whispers of grays, oranges, and blues. In the background, he could recognize a meager creek, that was only a few measurements away from him. Nature was awake, with every second going by. It was something that only stories could think of- The landscape.

He felt Aspen's cold skin, as she begun to sit alongside him. "Why are you so detached, from everyone?" Her voice was so full care, it earned a chuckled from Enoch. He hadn't a clue why he was so reserved today,  but it was something about the way his mind worked.

When he lived with his family, he had this shrink named, "Doctor Gammon," who had given him several remedies supposing they'd help him become less distant. After, spending months on end with these medications, he hadn't taken a single pill. In fact, he kept the several pill bottles in his bureau. "I don't know," He muttered, after breathing out insignificantly.

"Give every man thy ears, but few thy voice," Aspen cited, from Shakespeare. Enoch knew that Aspen was favorably good with literature and often recited authors she read. However, every time she did, Enoch could help but feel a grasp of passion towards Aspen's understanding.

"We know what we are, but know not of what we may be," He whispered a quote from Shakespeare. His heart began to thud hard against his chest.

"What could we be?" The concept came to Enoch's mind, though not his mouth. He heard Aspen's breath get deeper, as the second ticked by.

"Are you okay?" He blurted and Aspen's cheeks crimsoned. He looked at her, watching for a sure sign she was okay. He regarded that her eyes were widened, her cheeks were, now, glowing a soft pink, and she was fiddling with her fingers. She wasn't fine.

"I suppose, just a horrid case of philophobia and I haven't slept well in a good week," She whispered the words in a bleak manner as if she was miserable to say the words coming out of her mouth. She left out the part about Marissa's visit. And her threats to everyone she loved, including Enoch. Because how could she explained that Marissa threatened to hurt a boy that Aspen wasn't sure if she loved quite yet? And wouldn't it be better if she didn't love him, anyways? Perhaps Marissa would see and leave him alone.

"Love isn't something to fear. How could someone exist without love?" Enoch didn't mean to say that in a harmful approach, yet the words came out mean and cruel.

"Enoch, love has never worked for me. I'm sorry if that upsets you," Her voice still sounded sweet, yet she meant to be as severe as his.

Enoch sighed, running his hands through his hair. "It's fine, Aspen." It was not fine, yet he'd pretend it was. Aspen was something he required in his life- Even if she wasn't precisely his. He needed her, not love.

"No, it's not, Enoch," She murmured her confirmation. He had entirely forgotten about her expertise with feelings of others. Since she rarely told used it on other peculiars. But, unlike Enoch, some people just knew exactly what Aspen's peculiarity was and how it worked.

"Enoch, I'm a star, when you deserve a universe," She muttered her words, then brushed his face with her thin hands, delicately. He silenced her and shook his head.

"That's not plausible, Aspen. You're so much better than me. I mean, you're truly my candle in the dark. I need you because you give me hope. You essentially are hope," Enoch addressed, stressfully running his hands through his dark curls. Aspen watched as they puffed out with everyone movement he had made in them.

He witnessed Aspen stand up, then began to walk towards the stream. "Aspen!" He shouted out, then followed the girl. She was so petite. Her legs were stubby, yet swifter than Enoch's. He viewed the girl run, attempting to pace his own limbs with hers. "Slow down, Aspen," He commanded, and the girl halted.

"Enoch, for once, I am not going to listen," She yelled, then fastened her pace. Enoch was confused by her words. She listened to everyone's side of things but he assumed that was just her way, before this. However, no matter what she said, he'd follow her- He comprehended it, She recognized it.

Finally, the two got to their end- the creek.  Enoch believed his lungs were soon to give after following Aspen, yet he breathes on. Enoch peered up at the sky, for the sunset had turned into a dark blanket  surrounding them- Stars were the only light source, but everything with so relaxed and wonderful. He looked down to see Aspen was taking off of her clothes, for she desired to swim.

"Don't swim in there. You'll get ill," Enoch predicted, and Aspen looked back at the boy, then rolled her eyes.

"I'm not the only one swimming, Enoch," She declared, then waited for Enoch to join her. He'd never refuse a moment with Aspen, but he was nervous, to say the least. He was very much in love with the girl, yet she didn't like that. She didn't choose love, in general. "Enoch, if you don't come swim with me, I'll store all your dolls in my hiding spot," Aspen threatened and crossed her arms over her chest. He sighed in defeat and begun undressing until he was in his undergarments. "You win this time, " He responded, then slowly progressed into the cooling water.

"Good," Aspen tittered, then splashed Enoch with the water around her. Enoch splashed back, which begun a petite battle between the two, and Enoch had completely disregarded his neurotic style, for he was enjoying himself more than ever. Aspen, ultimately, gave up in the small war, and then pouted her lips at the boy.

"Are you mad?" Enoch said in a teasing voice, but he was enjoying his triumph too much to mind.

"I'm exasperated," Aspen blurted, then swam closer to the boy.

"I won, honestly," Enoch retorted, although he when he got to 'won,' in his sentence,  Aspen brushed her cold lips against his, taking Enoch by surprise.

+

hello everyone, it's the author, obviously.

Well, anyways, I'd like to apologize for not updating this for a week or so. I was at my brother's dad's house, and he doesn't have wifi... (I WENT WITHOUT WIFI FOR A WEEK) However, I plan to stay at my mom's house, for now on, so things should be getting back on track. If not, I'm so sorry, but I'm trying. There is a bit of drama going on, right now, but like I said, I'm trying... Thank you

~Tara "Taruh"