Episode 96: Denial and Betrayal

"True loyalty is shown in the form of actions, not just words"

*Adela*

Lei had been acting odd all day long, he even suggested that Mayu might be one of the attackers. Yet, she didn't attack him back when confronted. Was he that desperate for a scapegoat? I understood that the threat of our enemies was getting to him, but accusing others without proof was absurd.

I looked up and saw Ren running down the street. In his arms was a fluffy dog. The tiny thing was bleeding from one of its paws. Turning around, I chased after Ren.

"Ren," I called out.

Ren glanced back. "Sorry but I have no time, I got to get her to a veterinarian."

"Let me take a look."

Ren stopped. "You think you can heal her? I tried using the potion I made the other day it's not of high enough quality to completely heal her."

I take out some herbs, a glass, and a water bottle. I pour the water into the glass and crush some Hestin herbs with my fingers.

"What kind of potion are you making?"

"It's a traditional Xiānian remedy."

Ren's eyes widened. He lowered his head. "Please, tell me if there's any way I can help you make this faster."

I hand him the Hestin. "Rub these herbs, doing so will cause them to crumble. In the meantime, I'll make a paste."

I summoned a mortar and pestle and began crushing the rest of the herbs into a light green paste. I take the glass I had summoned earlier and poured my energy into it. "Silvia." The water sizzled.

I poured the water over the paste and stirred the two together using the pestle. The result was a light green gel-like substance. I rubbed the gel on the dog's wound. The wound quickly vanished. I took her pulse, she was fine.

I sighed in relief. "She'll be okay, let her rest."

Ren smiled. "Thank you, Adela." He hugs his dog tightly. "Oh, but she's not my dog." His face turned pale. "I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to keep her."

"If you want I can take care of her. I already have a pet mouse, but I think I can take in another cutie as a pet."

Ren's face turned red. "You're really something." He hands me the dog. "She's a stray so we don't have to worry about finding her owner."

I petted her soft ears. She was so small. "What happened to her? Where did you find her?"

"It seems she got in a fight with a cat or some other animal with sharp claws, I didn't pay attention in my haste. Whatever the cause, I'm glad she's fine now. Hey,  is it fine if I go and visit you? To see her I mean."

I grinned and nodded. "Sure. You really love animals don't you?"

"Mostly dogs," Ren said. "I got nine dogs you know."

"I see, there must not be enough space for another."

He petted the dog. "That's not it, you see my...well mother wouldn't dare take in a stray. She prefers dogs that are "well bred". If she were to take in a stray, it had better belonged to a noble house before escaping."

"Ren, is that you?" a woman called out.

Ren waved goodbye and ran towards the woman.

"Come on now...hmm what should I call you?" I said.

"Who is that?" the woman with Ren said. She was pointing at me. She pulled on Ren's arm. "Why are you talking to a mutt?"

I turned around. I expected her to be pointing at the dog, instead, she was pointing at me. If I stayed there any longer, I was afraid of what might've have happened.