02

scarletts pov

We were in the car, with Mila, the fake baby; words could not describe how uncomfortable I felt. Having that thing in my car, and then Calum, sitting in my passenger seat. "I hope you don't mind me playing some of my music for my solo, because you don't have a choice." I snapped at him, no he didn't technically do anything to make me dislike him, it's just his aura he projects, that he thinks he's the greatest person to ever live. When in reality, Rachminoff was, not some douche bag who sleeps with my twin sister.

I played a song I had just found, it's called 'Always Summer" it is a piano composition, it's quite lovely. Getting lost in the music while driving Calum and I to the beach, he spoke up, "this is my favorite piece to play; it's beautiful isn't it." He moved his fingers on top of my dashboard as if he were playing the song.

I turned, looking at the boy who had shocked me with his knowledge about music, "I guess I should've given you more credit; soccer slash piano boy." 

"You aswell cello slash piano girl." I looked at the boy in my passenger seat, who was smiling at me. "You know, a photograph would last longer, Scar." He smirked, the cockiness rolling off his tongue once again. Just when I thought we finally moved past this idiotic thing he calls a personality. 

"I wouldn't want a photograph of you, not ever." I replied, pulling the small car into a parking spot at the beach we drove two hours to get to. I was starting to question my sanity for letting him convince me to drive us and the fake baby two hours away from home so we could get quote-on-quote hours down for our assignment. 

"Have you ever noticed the hidden beauty in New York, everything is so peaceful here." He embraced the sunlight, putting his arms out to swing around in the sand. Someone could mistake him as a girl by his actions in a way. 

I laughed at his response, "it's so lovely, sometimes we can't even see the night sky due to air pollution and lights from the city." Walking down to the beach area, with Mila the fake baby. I don't think I'll be able to say she is a real baby, after-all if you press a button on her back she will whine and make the most annoying noises. Proving, I do not have the patience to be a mother. 

"I mean out here, near the beach, where everything is so peaceful, the only noises that can be heard is the waves crashing against the sand, over and over again." He looked at me for a few seconds, and then snapped his head back to the ocean, "do you know how much effort it takes to act stupid? to act like I am superior." 

I snapped my head away from the ocean to look at the boy, who now was laying on his back, closer to me than he was before. "I do not know Calum, maybe you're so good at it you forget you're acting." I leaned in brushing my lips against his plump pink lips, "maybe you are so good at acting like an egotistical asshole, you've become one." I looked at him, looking off towards the sun, glistening over the water. 

"That seems quite true, Scarlett. But it's only a cover up." He looked towards the ocean one last time, "I suppose we should head back, we have been here for a few hours." 

Walking towards the car, he held Mila, it was silent. Getting in was worse, he sat the little doll in the back seat of my compact jetta, and sat back up front, playing 'Always Summer' once again. His fingers finding the dashboard once again. "Calum, may I ask you something?" I asked him, not looking away from the road, since it has become dark and foggy. 

"Shoot."

"How long have you been playing? I've seen you doing that," I motioned towards his fingers gliding across my dashboard, but they came to an abrupt stop. "I just noticed."

"Almost eight years now. Surprising isn't it, the egotistical asshole soccer player is a closet pianist, who secretly hates his friends and everyone around him." He snapped at me, he looked out the window, forehead pressed up against it.