“You okay?” Sheldon asked, leaning in closer to me and gently brushing a piece of hair off my cheek.

“I’m good,” I replied, my voice coming out a little breathy as I looked past him to the front steps of the hotel, seeing people in evening gowns heading inside obviously there for the same reason I was.

“Hands off,” Mac growled as he stepped out of the cab and scowled at Sheldon who just gave him a half smile in return.

“Relax Mac,” Sheldon said, taking my hand and wrapping it around his forearm. “I’m just playing the part. Thanks to your record launch party, everyone already thinks Rose and I are a couple.”

“But you’re not,” Mac said, his voice low as he stepped in front of Sheldon, his fists clenched at his sides and a muscle ticking in his jaw.

“Maybe I’m interested in changing that.”

“Sheldon,” I snapped, removing my hand from his arm and placing it on my hip as I watched Mac’s eyes turn murderous. “Stop joking around.”

“I’m just trying to lighten the mood,” he replied with a shrug, grinning down at Mac who looked like he was about to throw a punch.

“How’s that going for you?” I grumbled, reaching out to wrap my fingers around Mac’s wrist, giving it a gentle tug but he wouldn’t budge.

“Great,” Sheldon said cheerfully but his eyes were a shade too dark as he looked back at Mac, neither of them moving.

“I’m going in,” I said, turning away from the two of them in frustration, letting my fingers slip from Mac’s wrist as I stomped towards the front of the hotel, feeling a shiver of nerves running up and down my spine, making each step feel a little wobbly. It didn’t help that I was wearing heels.

“Rose,” Mac said as his arm wrapped around my waist, making me lose my breath even as my legs stopped wobbling and my stomach settled slightly. “I’m sorry,” he said softly, close to my ear as he matched his steps to mine, walking with me towards the stairs.

I shook my head, letting out a long breath as I leaned a little closer to him, needing his warmth at the moment. The thick jacket that I was wearing wasn’t doing anything to keep the chill from settling deep in my bones and I was getting the feeling that it had nothing to do with the winter weather. “You take him too seriously, Mac. He has no interest in me like that and you know it.”

He was silent for a moment as we walked through the front doors of the lobby and moved past the front desk, following the signs that pointed towards the ballroom the party would be in. “Before the launch party, I would’ve agreed with you but something changed. He looks at you differently now and I don’t like it.” He stopped walking just inside the doors and shifted so that we were facing each other. Slowly he lifted his hand the brush the backs of his fingers over my cheek, making a shiver that had nothing to do with the cold run up and down my spine. “He’s starting to really see you, Rose.”

“Doesn’t matter,” I whispered, going on tip toe to plant a soft kiss on his cheek. “I love you, Mac.” I moved back from him, feeling a little light headed and when I looked up at him, his eyes were glazed over and there was a half smile on his lips. I felt my own lips curve into a goofy grin as my heart did a flip flop in my chest even as it continued to beat rapidly. “So no fist fights tonight, okay?” I said, my voice coming out a little breathless.

His eyes darkened and his lips turned down in a scowl as his gaze shifted to look over my shoulder but he nodded. “Okay, no fist fights. Tonight.”

I narrowed my eyes at him, realizing that he’d given me no promises beyond that evening but before I could speak, Sheldon was there, grinning broadly at the two of us and gesturing towards the ballroom. “Coat check is this way,” he said easily, brushing past us and moving forward without looking back.