Homecoming

Hadrien decided he would pick Victorine up from the airport. He had missed his wife, and he hoped she had did what she needed to, because by now, she should be ready for them. He and little Kalan waited in the lobby of the airport with a bouquet of roses.
   All throughout the flight back, Victorine thought of August. She looked out of the window, moping. Dreeky looked at Victorine, then Cesaire, about to say something. Cesaire raised an eyebrow, stopping Dreeky, and he spoke up. "Victorine, pardon the intrusion, but you seem like you aren't happy to go home to your humble husband and beautiful child! Hadrien has been under false assumptions, and I personally feel guilty, because I witnessed my friend's wife gallivanting with another man! If you know you don't want a life with him, let him go! This is a cruel, cruel game you are playing with a man who loves you truly! I can't stand to see this, and Dreeky and I will not be a part of your charades!", said Cesaire, finally tired of Victorine's mess. Dreeky raised his eyebrows in agreement.
   Victorine was so embarrassed, she couldn't say anything at all. When the plane landed, she took a deep breath and stepped out. Walking through the airport, she felt herself wanting to throw up. She excused herself and went to the restroom. After looking at herself long and hard in the mirror, Victorine said a prayer.
   " Lord, I don't know what's wrong with me! I have a loving husband and a beautiful little girl waiting on me! Help me love them like they love me! Please, Lord, help me!", she prayed. When she felt she was ready, she left the restroom and walked out into the lobby, where Dreeky and Cesaire stood talking with Hadrien.
  Once he saw Victorine, Hadrien ran to her and hugged her, picking her up. He kissed her deeply, running his fingers through her hair. "Victorine! You changed your hair! I love it!", he exclaimed. Victorine smiled, then picked Kalan up. " Hi baby! Mommy missed you so much!", she said as the baby cooed and gave her a big smile. The tenderness of the moment melted her heart. Her child had missed her; her husband had missed her. It was time for her to step up to the plate.
**************************************************************
   Jeraina Faye stood on the porch, sweeping. She seemed lost in thought; it had been a while since Celestine had found that nasty little trick in the back yard, and she herself had wanted to wring Eveangeline's neck for supplying that Merlynne for the wedding. She had held another extravagant meeting, and even more people had came. She heard whispers of Eveangeline's work, and figured she had sent a spy.
   She wondered if Victorine had made it back home from San Diego yet. Something was going on with her daughter, and she pegged it as the birthing blues. Jeraina Faye hoped that Victorine wouldn't turn out like her; not wanting to be around her child. She felt bad about how she had did her own child so long ago.
   Celestine came up the walk holding two squirrels. Jeraina Faye smiled tenderly at her man. "Now, what you done did to them squirrels, Celestine!", she teased. " Went hunting to catch something to put in a stew", he replied, stepping up onto the porch and grabbing his woman around her waist with his free hand. She planted a kiss on his lips and he said, "Damn woman, you sure know how to welcome a man!" She took the pair of squirrels from him and they went into the kitchen, where hot coffee was brewing.
   After setting his bounty in the sink, Jeraina Faye poured them each a cup of coffee. After fixing Celestine a plate of grits, eggs, and sausage links, she sat at the table with him. "I'm worried about Victorine", she said in between sips of coffee. Celestine looked up from his plate, then asked, " You thinking about what we found?" Jeraina Faye straightened up, then said, "Could have been for me, could have been for her, to break up her marriage. I best not catch nobody in this yard! They gonna wish they never crossed my path!"
***************************************************************
   Eveangeline Bertram was a hoodoo practioner who once bumped heads with Jeraina Faye. It all started over a man, Jimmy Dalco, the flashiest card player this side of the bayou. Jimmy liked to wine and dine the ladies, and came across Jeraina Faye when she was on her prowl. Jimmy had been messing with Eveangeline, but one gander at Jeraina Faye Jean-Batiste, and she all but disappeared in his eyes.
   When Eveangeline caught on to their affair, she poisoned Jimmy one night when he came to her after being with Jeraina Faye. Eveangeline knew where he had been, and what they had been doing, because he had an empty wallet, and he was ready to sleep. No man like Jimmy Dalco just wanted sleep. "You been fucking that bitch!", Eveangeline screeched, startling Jimmy. " You no good muthafucker!" Jimmy was tired and full off of drink and Jeraina Faye's love, so he dismissed Eveangeline's accusations and went lay down in the bed. "Roll me a spliff, will you, woman!", he demanded, wanting his midnight smoke.
   Eveangeline rolled him one, alright. She uttered curses over the marijuana and tobacco, then added a pinch of wormwood, hemlock, and ground devil's shoestring, and doctored up a joint so fat, so perfect, Jimmy wouldn't be able to resist it. She watched as he lit up and started smoking, a glass of whiskey in her grip. Soon, after getting halfway into the joint, Jimmy started choking and coughing, spitting all over himself. Eveangeline watched as he started to convulse on the floor. Jimmy reached for her, then she walked over to him and looked down on his convulsing body.
" You dirty bitch", he spat, dying. "What you did to me?", he asked. Eveangeline's smile turned evil and wicked as she said, "You wanna act like a dog, then you can die like one, too!" Jimmy took one last effort and tried to grab her ankle, but missed. He died, right there in her room.
   Eveangeline hated Jeraina Faye more from that point out and vowed to get even with her someday. When the girl Merlynne came to her asking for a trick to stop Jeraina Faye's daughter's wedding, she jumped at the chance. She knew somehow that the trick had been stopped, so she made an even stronger one and sent one of her handymen to drop it in her yard, somewhere they wouldn't find it. But now, it seemed like that trick had been found too, because Eveangeline caught the worst headache she ever had in a long time. She was seething with anger at the fact that both her tricks had been stopped, and she couldn't have that. This time, she would go big, or quit, altogether. This trick would have to work; she had to kill Jeraina Faye this time, to get her out of her life for good, and to take over as Hoodoo Counselate. The nerve of that bitch to be holding meetings like she was some kind of Marie Laveau!!!
   A ringing of her doorbell brought her out of her thoughts. When she went to the door to answer, her hair started to rise. She opened the door to find the devil bitch herself standing there. "What the hell you doing here?", she spat. Jeraina Faye stood calm and proud, her anger seething around her like a halo. " Bitch, I came to let you know personally that if you ever try to harm my daughter again, I will kill you! Keep sending your shit to my place! You gonna wish you ain't never been born into your wretched existence! Try me, Eveangeline! ", threatened Jeraina Faye. Eveangeline's eyes got big as Jeraina Faye pulled out a grisgris bag from her bosom. " Bitch, you drop that on my porch and I will blow your fucking head off", warned Eveangeline. Jeraina Faye laughed, then said, "I don't need to drop no grisgris here! Your fate is already sealed! Bitch, you will have to crawl to ME! I promise you that! Keep on, Eveangeline! You fucking with the wrong bitch! Now, keep your fucking tricks to yourself, and whenever little bitches come to you for something to hurt my baby with, you better think twice before supplying them!"
   Jeraina Faye stared Eveangeline dead in her eyes then turned and left. Eveangeline was livid. "You goddamned bitch!", she yelled as Jeraina Faye made it to the truck, where Celestine waited. " You best get your ass away from here!"  Jeraina Faye cast her a cold, evil look once again, and they drove away. So, looks like she got herself another man, she thought to herself. Eveangeline looked at them leave, then slammed the door.
***************************************************************
   Hadrien was glad to have his wife back home. Even little Kalan was happy, gurgling and cooing at her. Victorine told him all about her trip and the wedding, save for the fact that she had spent the entire weekend with another man. Hadrien loved her new hair and thought she looked even sexier than before, if that was at all possible. He sensed a change in her, but didn't mention it. He wanted to enjoy her homecoming, not nag at her.
   After eating lunch and putting the baby down for her nap, Victorine sat on Hadrien's lap. "I missed all of this", he said , palming her ass. " I really missed you too, bae", she said, then kissed him passionately. Hadrien took this as a sign to lay it down. He kissed Victorine hungrily, and laid her on the bed. He eagerly took off her clothes and began kissing her everywhere. When she turned on her stomach, he saw the butterfly tattoo. Victorine was at a lost for words, then asked, "You like?" Hadrien smacked her ass cheeks and said, "I love!" He kissed Victorine's body all  over, turning her on, especially when he licked between her cheeks. Victorine's moans encouraged him, and he entered her from behind, his stroke deep. Victorine felt as though Hadrien's enormous penis had opened her up even more. She enjoyed the work Hadrien was putting in. He flipped her around and dove into her, face first, sucking her clit ferociously. Victorine couldn't take it anymore, and pulled him up to kiss her. They made love passionately, both of them coming together.
  Hadrien lay back spent, and Victorine cuddled with him. She ran her fingers through his locks and over his chest. This was all hers, and she did love him. As they laid together, Hadrien said, "Victorine, I didn't know if you would come back to us." Victorine was stunned by this admission, then said, "Aww, baby! You know I wouldn't do anything like that! I just needed time to be alone, because everything happened so fast with the baby and the wedding. I love the both of you so much! You just don't know...", she trailed. Hadrien grabbed her face and kissed her. They had round two after that, right up until little Kalan woke up.
***************************************************************
   Teta was busy in her shed chopping roots for grisgris bags. More and more people from round the bayou were coming for her magick touch, in the grisgris and the kitchen. Fiyah had conveniently built a loading dock at the end of their property so he wouldn't be that far from Teta. Her belly had doubled and the twins were about to come. Teta grew more powerful by the day, and her babies did too.
   The smell of damiana filled the shed. Teta gathered what she needed then sat at her work station. She began filling little bags made of chamois and velvet with the fresh chopped roots and other items. Her babies were moving, and she smiled. Just then, she felt a swinging in her head. Teta closed her eyes and rode the wave. Suddenly, she could sense a presence. It was Papa.
   Papa Legba's corporeal form  appeared before her. Teta looked at him cautiously. "My child grows strong. I grow stronger", he said. Teta replied by saying, " My children grow strong". Papa laughed and touched Teta's face tenderly. "Mama Legba!", he said, then vanished. Teta stood, heart beating wildly. What was Papa trying to tell her?
***************************************************************
   Hadrien was happy that his wife was content. It made him try harder; he still worked with TonTon MaCootre, on the boats, but one day he got a call from Tristen Vanzant. " Hadrien, do I have an opportunity for you!! Let's talk over lunch!", she bubbled. Hadrien was excited.
  Around 12:30, Hadrien met Tristen at Mother's. Tristen was one sexy sister; her dark brown skin, her full lips, and her perfect shape. She wore her hair natural and it looked good on her. She oozed strength, power, and sexiness. When she saw Hadrien, she stood then gave him a hug. Hadrien couldn't help but enjoy the feel of her touch. She flashed him a big smile and they sat down. 
   After ordering shrimp and debris poboys, Tristen laid the offer down to Hadrien. "I have a spot open for a calendar shoot that would be perfect for you! You'd have to show a little skin, but hell, you're made for this!", she exclaimed. Hadrien took a bite of his shrimp poboy, then sipped his coke. " A little skin? What are we talking, Tristen?", he asked. Tristen loved the way he said her name. She found herself hoping he would agree. "You'd have to be nude! Wait, wait, wait! I know what you're thinking, but just listen! Everything will be tastefully done, and your payday will be huge!", she explained. " Hadrien, if I may be honest, you have the body and face and hair of a God! A sexy, chocolate, Nubian God! Do you know how many women will buy your calendar? You are perfect for this! Please say yes!", she practically begged. Hadrien thought hard. Sure, modeling had boosted his ego, but nude? Victorine wouldn't like this one bit. "Hadrien, I will pay you $50,000!", said Tristen. Fifty thousand dollars! Hadrien knew they could use that kind of money, and agreed. Tristen was thrilled. They set up the date, shook on it, and enjoyed the rest of their meal. To others eating, Tristen and Hadrien looked like a couple. Tristen laughed and flirted with Hadrian, playing with his dreadlocks, and he enjoyed it, too.
   When they were leaving, Hadrien walked Tristen to her Lexus like a gentleman and opened her door. She hugged him then quickly got into her car and drove away. Hadrien had a big decision to make..what would he tell Victorine?
***************************************************************
   Merlynne and Clay were living a fantasy life. They had been together a week straight and hardly ever came up for air. Clay was devoting time to her, and she enjoyed it. It wasn't like with Hadrien; Clay was with her the whole time, doting on her every whim. Merlynne's mind was totally blown. Clayton James was a kind, sexy brother who seemed to really be into Merlynne. He asked her to move in with him after just the short period of time, and Merlynne accepted. If she was ever going to get over Hadrien, she couldn't be living in the same neighborhood as him and his family. Merlynne took a chance on love. After all, Dr. Joe did say she'd have a family of her own some day. That meant having children, and let's face it, she couldn't do that with Jackie, either. Clay had been sent to her, and she was happy with the package.
   Clay helped Merlynne move in, bringing all her belongings into the house. Clay was over the moon. Having Merlynne here with him made him feel like a real man. Her beautiful smile kept him wanting to make sure it stayed there. He put the word out that he was available to bartend at other clubs, and the calls began to come in, because Clay was a hard worker, he was eye candy to the ladies, and many other club owners had wanted to stick it to Jackie.
   When Jackie had heard that Merlynne had moved in with Clay already, she immediately began talking shit about them. "He couldn't wait to back stab me! That bitch scandalous!", she ranted for no reason. Jackie liked to play games, but didn't like when shit blew up in her face. Clay had been her right hand for a long time. Now that he was free, she knew other clubs would want him. So fucking what, she thought. Let him go. He would pay for his betrayal.
***************************************************************
  Victorine looked at her little girl, carefully inspecting her features. What August had asked her stirred up. Could Kalan be his? He had asked her to send in her DNA for testing, so he could know for sure. Victorine felt even more guilty now, doing all this under Hadrien's nose, but she had to know. One day, she took Kalan with her into town while Hadrien was working. The nurse at the clinic took a swab of little Kalan's mouth and would send it in for testing. Victorine felt glad she had it done; no matter what the results were, she would love her baby unconditionally. Just looking at her face put a renewed faith in Victorine.
  While strolling down Decatur, Victorine spotted Hadrien's face on an advertisement. It made her proud to know her man was doing big things for them. The only thing was this Tristen Vanzant. Victorine knew that Hadrien was an extremely attractive man, and women would flirt with him from time to time. She knew that Hadrien loved her and wouldn't do anything to hurt her, but he was still a man, and men do hard things sometimes.
  "Hey baby! See, that's daddy! Yes, Kalan, that's daddy up there!", she said as the baby giggled. Victorine hoped that Hadrien was indeed Kalan's father, and that she herself would get her shit together and stop worrying about August. She picked up a few items then went home to wait for her man.
   That evening when Hadrien came in from the boats,  he found a delicious dinner of king crabs and fixings waiting for him. Victorine had already fed and put Kalan down, so she would have time to dote on her man. Hadrien kissed her passionately, grateful for his family. How could he tell her about his upcoming shoot?