Chapter 47: It's a long way to Tipperary

A knock on our apartment door was enough to make Vanessa and I snap our heads up from our hands. For the previous couple of hours, she had been comforting me about my mother, which I was extremely greatful for. We had just been sitting there, on the sofa, as I refused to cry. I didn't want to cry anymore, I needed to continue being the person people thought I was; Strong, tearless, brave. Vanessa wanted me to let it all out, but I thought enough was enough. I'd broken down twice in front of her already, I didn't want to make it thrice. Besides, apparently the boys were here in Washington D.C, so I'd have to pretend that everything was fine if I want to get things on good terms again.

Vanessa and I turned to look at eachother before she gave me a sypathetic look and walked towards the door. I slumped back on the leather pillow, sinking down slowly.

"Hi, can I help you?" I heared Vanessa ask as I closed my eyes.

"Uh, hi. Yes actually, is Jennifer and Robyn here?" I heared an all too familiar, masculine voice ask, making me snap my eyes open.

I looked at Vanessa and she was shuffling on her feet, obviously unsure on what to say. "Uhh..." she turned to look at me and I nodded, standing up. "Here..." 

I walked towards the door as Vanessa walked towards her bedroom. As I passed, she whispers, "I'll give you two some time alone." I thanked her silently and walked towards the door where I saw the same muscular man I'd grown to love like my father.

"Paul!" I yelled, running into his arms. 

"Hey kiddo!" he exclaimed, ruffling my hair excitedly with one hand, where the other was wrapped around me.

It was unbelievable how much I'd missed him. He was the father figure that I'd been missing for so long. He treated me like I was his actual daughter, like he loved me just as much as I'd loved him.

"I've missed you so much!" I muffled into his chest, making him chuckle.

"Me too! You look soooo different!" He beamed, holding me at arms length and looking at me up and down. We stayed there for about a minute or so before I pulled away. The fact that he and Vanessa were here with me right now was the only good thing that had happened that day. The only good thing; and yet I was still feeling extremely depressed.

I suddenly began throwing questions at him. "What are you doing here? How did you know I was here? Are you here with the boys or did you guys come seperately?" 

"I'm here to take you and Jen back home, I knew you were here because I had the text message you sent Harry tracked and I'm here with the boys," Paul explained, smiling at me. "Why are you here, how did you know that the boys were here and where's Jen?"

My smile must've dropped because Paul began to look at me with concern. "Umm, well... I'm here because I needed a new start and it was too dangerous for the boys and I if I stayed in England... I- I um, I knew the boys were here because I bumped into Zayn in the park earlier today... and...and..." I held back the tears that were trying to push themselves out of my eyes and looked up at Paul with the best expressionless face I could muster. "Paul... mum's dead..." 

Suprisingly, Paul's face didn't look sad, but confused. "What? No she isn't! I spoke to her earlier today!"

"No, Paul... she's gone. I saw the b-" I couldn't bring myself to say the word due to my trembling," the... body."

"No..." He whispered, looking at me with wide, heart broken eyes. I nodded my head, unable to speak. He was silent for what seemed like forever, and the only thing to hear was my occasional sniffle. Paul eventually snapped his face to look at me. "How?"