Whatever Evolution May Bring: Ch.1

Down the streets of New York I raced, briefcase in one hand and coffee in the other.

The streets were flooded with ongoing traffic and the sidewalk was crowded with pedestrians.

It seemed to be almost impossible at the time to get where I was going on time.

"Watch it!" Snarled a women as I darted right passed her and said "Sorry!"

"Come on, come on!" I muttered as I checked my watched and continued.

Finally I spotted the building across the street from where I was.

"Yes!" I shouted out in relief before continued on my way.

"Hello." I greeted as I stepped into my class.

"You're late Prof Wixham!" Stated one of my students with a mischievous glare and toothy grin while leaning back in his chair.

"Yeah! Isn't that our job?" Asked another one of my students with a teasing voice and a deadpanned expression.

"Okay...alright..."-I said while placing down my briefcase and my cup of coffee onto my desk-"I'm late, you're not."

"Can we just get to class please?"-I said as I seated myself at my desk and placed on my reading glasses-"Now if you all don't mind settling down; I would like to Begin now!"

"Superheroes, Is there any proof that people with special powers actually exist?"-I questioned with a beatific and curious smirk-"Humans are continuously evolving. If not at present, maybe some kind of genetic mutation or evolution in the future will actually enable humans to do heroic things like reading thoughts, moving objects with a single thought or healing instantaneously and etc."

"But..."-I said before giving a brief moment of silence-"Still Are there any cases like that which show an indication to such evolution?"

"I guess its sorta' possible!" Answered one of my students doubtfully as I stepped up from my chair and placed my hands behind my back.

"As long as the criteria for special powers is not set too high, I'd answer yes. There has been rare reports of people with special abilities." Answered another one of my students nervously with her pen to her chin.

"For those who did give an answer, you are right!"-I said with a blissful grin and a finger pointed high above my head-"There is cases like them, though they are rare. Very were."

Some students chuckle and some snicker as I continued saying "Henrietta Lacks, for instance, had a cancerous tumor. But when cultivated, that cell line has so far reproduced endlessly. This cell line is immortal, able to split into new cells endlessly. Remarkable isn't it?"

Over towards the seated students I mince before finishing on to say-"Liew Thow Lin and three of his children are capable of sticking objects themselves because of their strange glue like skin."-Anxiously I raked a hand through my hair and continued on explaining-"There are people with Hyperthymesia who are unable to forget details about their life. If photographic memory sounds great, be aware that the people who suffer from this have been known to get lost in remembering."

"Wow, that sounds horrible!" Commented one of my students before letting out a light chuckle.

I wagged my head slowly and uncrossed my arms from behind my back before responding back and saying "If you find that case burdensome, just wait until you hear this one."

I gave them all a bright toothy grin before turning back around to sit down-"There is cases were some people have claimed to suddenly stop sleeping one day, and are now suffering from complete insomnia. Thai Ngoc and Al Herpin are two perfect examples."-I revealed to them while bouncing my brows and curving up the sides of my lips.

"Okay! Ha haha...I take that back, that's horrible." Responded the same student who had commented only a minute ago.

I chuckled and nodded a bit then begun to say "But...I will not characterize evolution the way society does. Evolution is the splintering of one species into many through natural processes like mutation. Most theories predict that diversity is a long term certainty, with the species that continue to propagate being naturally selected."

I pause for a bit as I gave the entire class of students a riddled glance over. I then finish by saying "So...evolution does seem to make predictions about improvements, super powers and so on. Evolution has been working on the life of Earth for billions of years. There is no solid proof of a reason why humans wouldn't get new powers that defy physics when other life on Earth has proved to exhibit such abilities. So our expectations should match the range of abilities already proven by the cases we have seen and heard amongst our entire planet."

The entire classroom was left speechless as I sent a wink their ways "That's what well be discussing today everyone, so please open your science books to page 123 and then we all will quickly dive in."

To be continued...

"Do mutants truly exist and if they did? Would you accept them?"-Xandor Wixham

All Rights Reserved®