28. This Is How It's Gonna Go Down

At first, the adrenaline kept me sharp, on edge, and I felt like I could handle whatever was to come. But when the police cars were so near that I could practically hear the gas pedals being slammed to the bottom, my hands started shaking. Fucking annoying, I can't even keep my own body in check. I stood plastered against the wall in the hallway, while J and the two men with us kept a look out towards the entrance. The men opened a duffel bag and pulled out masks, one of them the familiar goat one I had seen before, and machine guns. What the...? J saw my expression and laughed.

- HAHA! Don't look so surprised, honey, obviously we've got a plan B, and C, and D aaaaaaaand... Well, ya' get the point. Ya' want one?

He raised an eyebrow at me waiting for my answer.

- Nah, this one'll due.

I gestured at the gun in my hand, trying to play it cool, hoping he wouldn't notice my tremble. I didn't want him to think I couldn't do this - because I could. I recalled the last time I was with him in a situation like this, the day we met and he used me as a human shield. Hah, at least that was never going to happen again. Right?

- Uuuuh, you're not gonna use me as a human shield again are you?

J cocked his head to the side and took a step towards me, his hands raising slowly as if he was going to grab me.

- BOOH!

He jerked his hands forward, making me jump, and started laughing, the sound echoing in the empty space.

- HHAHHAHA! No, darling, I won't. Promise.

He smirked at me, and I felt a calming wave flush over me at seeing him so at ease, looking like he wasn't worried at all about what was going to happen. In fact, it seemed like he looked forward to it. My train of thought was cut off as I heard footsteps from behind, J's gaze flickering past me, his head nodding. I turned around, and saw Mark and a couple more men standing ready, also with machine guns in hand. I began feeling like everything was going to be fine, because who could possibly stop this lot, led by the one and only Clown Prince of Crime?

- So, what's the plan?

Every head turned towards me and I raised my eyebrows in question.

- What, can't a girl ask?

I giggled at how serious they all seemed, and J laughed with me.

- Of course you can, darling.

He took another step towards me, warmth radiating from his body as he leaned in close, his lips touching my ear as he spoke.

- First, my guys in the back are going to secure the money. While they do that, we are going to distract the police with our toys..

He pressed the side of the gun in his hand against my chest, the cold metal making me shiver.

- Then, we are going to set up another toy, one that goes BOOM!

I jumped at his sudden exclamation, and cursed at myself for letting him get to me so easily.

- Aaaaaand after that, we are simply going to leave. Sound good?

Yes. I nodded, and drew in the smell of his skin, his cologne, feeling more calm than ever. Excited even. He stepped back, and revealed his metal teeth once more before the sound of braking cars outside caught everyone's attention. Showtime.

-..-..-..-

My body hurt like hell after what must have been dozens of hits, some from blows, some from falling to the ground. I had used up all the bullets in my gun in just a minute or two, so I didn't have a choice but to keep going, using only myself as a weapon. The pain was not pleasant, but all my senses felt hightened as I aimed a blow at the throat of the police man in front of me. It was the only place I could manage to hurt him, and any other police for that matter, because they all wore helmets and bullet proof vests. The man fell to the floor, grabbing his throat, and I kicked him, over and over, just like had done to the guard not much earlier. J was at my side, shooting everyone and anything that came at us, and the hurt ones no longer with guns he left to me, letting me have my fun. We were, together with a couple more men, in the bank hallway, away from the worst fight near the entrance where a lot more of J's men were firing their machine guns at whomever made it inside. The sound of bullets flying was frightening at first, but after a while the chaos of it all made me get used to it, forget it even. Suddenly, there was a loud bang coming from behind us, and the building trembled, making me stumble and fall, the police man who I had kicked immediately jumping at me, holding me down. I screamed at him, his strong grip not loosening no matter how hard I tried to free myself. Finally, I bit his arm, making him pull it away just long enough to get my legs free and wrapping them around his neck. I squeezed, his head trapped between my thighs, him starting to hit at me, trying to make me let go. His reddening eyes almost popped out of their sockets as I saw the life drain out of him, and when I looked around the room, I met J's intense gaze. He nodded at me, clearly pleased, and licked his lips once before returning to his task. I smiled, and as I stood up, I noticed that the men at the front were moving back towards us. J waved me over.

- Come, it's time to go.

I followed him further back in the hallway, smoke bursting out of a room to the left - where the vault was. Oooooh, so that's where that bang from earlier came from. More of J's men came pouring out of there, carrying duffel bags filled with cash, and joined us and the rest, running towards the back exit. All of a sudden I tripped over a piece of debris, and hit the ground with a thud. As everyone kept running, not noticing me, I heard J yell at Mark.

- NOW!

Before I even had the time to think about what he meant, an immense power struck me, flinging me into the wall. My ears were ringing, and I tasted blood in my mouth as I looked around me, disoriented. Fire and smoke filled what was previously the entrance, and the screams of men burning was piercing. I crawled up, onto my feet, leaning myself against the wall as I tried to find the strength to move. It didn't take long before there was a warm hand on my waist, the faint smell of a certain cologne filling my senses.

- Come on. We need to leave.

I looked up, J's gaze locked on mine, his expression a bit... annoyed, and I nodded.

- I'm sorry...

He growled and grabbed my hand, pulling me with him as he moved towards the exit.

- No, ya' did good. Very good. In fact...

He paused to look at me, and as we stepped outside, a van waiting for us, he smirked.

- In fact... I even think ya' deserve a reward.

He lifted me into the van, his fingers brushing my skin underneath my top, and I bit my lip as he sat down next to me, placing his hand on my thigh, slowly moving it upwards. He leaned in and mmm-ed in my ear.

- As soon as we get home, I'm gonna throw ya' onto my bed and show ya' just how much I enjoyed fighting with you tonight.