Chapter 40

"So you are actually good?" Spence looked at me over the rim of her cup. We were kicking it back at our usual place at the brew and I was under the inquisition. "Yes don't worry about me anymore".

"Huh" Emily snorted and waved a dismissive hand in front of her face. "Like that's possible. Look at you" . I did and sighed at the sight of the cast on both my leg and arm. My leg was starting to seriously itch and I made a deal with Mike to get a long spoon in there and scratch me and in return I would let him write whatever he wanted on my arm's plaster, which was a bad idea considering the very nasty and surprisingly well drawn outline of the male genitalia on it.

"I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously with that thing" Hanna pointed at it and burst out laughing for the fifth time that morning.

It had almost been a week since Ezra had come over my house in the middle of the night. We had surprisingly not gotten caught, however Dad had an aneurism when he came back from his conference and saw the state of the bathroom. I could no longer look at that bathtub without flushing.

It had also been a week since I last saw him. I had taken the week off school and stayed home to catch up with all the homework and assignments that had been piling up all this time. You'd think been held at gunpoint and being run over would get me brownie points at school and not paper deadlines.

"Well then," Spencer brought me out of my thoughts "you'd better get your bruised ass back to school because the poor guy is losing it without you".

"Oh yes!"Hanna piped in. "That play is wearing him down and without an assistant I don't think he'll make it another day."

I rolled my eyes at her and bit into my cupcake to avoid speaking. I was aware that Ezra was losing it from the hundred texts he sent me daily, begging me to come back. He was being a drama queen but I knew I had to go back eventually.

Truth was I was staling. Every time I went back to school and saw him up there doing his job it was a harsh reminder of our situation. Every single time I thought we were good, chaos erupted and I usually ended up in the hospital.

It was refreshing not dealing with it. However the out of sight out of mind mentality could work for so long. Not allowing myself to be happy because it just seemed too good to be true was not helping me either.

"Or" Emily said frowning "you can take some more time off if you're not ready yet".

I reached and took her hand in mine giving it a reassuring squeeze. I was relieved they were all in my corner and so supportive. It took some of the pressure off my shoulders.

"Enough about me. No more Ezra talk. How's school, what did I miss?"

"Ugr" Hanna plopped dramatically back in the couch, "I'm so behind in all my classes and miss little perfect is running me down for my money."

"Oh right, you got the sub. How is she? " Spence scooted over. "I don't have her, she's not in charge of the A.P. classes"

"She's a bitch that's what she is"Hanna muttered and Em rolled her eyes. "Don't listen to her she's just jealous because Mrs. Molina is young and pretty"

Molina? Something about that name was extremely familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"Is she really?" I asked Em who nodded," Yeah she's only been to school for one day and the entire male student body population is crushing on her".

"How young is young?" Spence asked and Hanna shrugged. "I think I overhead her saying she's 23".

"Lucky how those people land jobs fresh out of college." Spence sighed and the conversation topic soon changed to college applications and job interviews.